Friday, May 15, 2020

Periogies

Gheesh...HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON?? We've been quarantined for what? Three years?

For me, the first month was mostly about shock and denial. I SIMPLY COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS WAS HAPPENING...

By the second month, I settled down, I quit watching the news, cleared off my treadmill and actually began to DIG OUT my basement...

Depending on where you live -- America is starting to step out. Fingers crossed...with a little common sense....we'll soon be on the other side of this pandemic.

When we look back at this time, I hope there will be some things I remember fondly...

Like -- for example -- COOKING.

I fell in love with Michael Symon...and he inspired me to make make John's childhood periogies.
It was a rainy day...we'd been cooped up for awhile...and this was the PERFECT thing.
The dough was easy.  2 c. flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 eggs, 1/4 c. water...
The filling is mashed potatoes with LOTS of shredded cheese.
Our shapes were all over the place...
NOT very uniform, that's for sure...
I dropped them in boiling water...in just a few minutes, they rise to the top.
Then, of course, I fried them in butter (with LOTS of onions)
I could make up a story about how much the kids loved making periogies...
But that would be a lie. They only lasted long enough for me to snap this one picture...

So -- much like the pandemic itself -- I am hoping periogie making remembers better than it lived...

No comments:

Post a Comment