Thursday, May 28, 2020

Mickey's

My name is Rita Farro and I have been eating in restaurants.

There. I admitted it.

Actually -- I've been to several different restaurants. Several different times.  In several different counties...

But, the thing is. I feel like I'm doing something criminal.

No, that's not quite right...it's more like I feel guilty -- like I'm doing something I should be ashamed of...
Mickey's "Country Cafe" is a simple, family-owned business...that has been devastated by a 3-month closure.  So, yes, I was DELIGHTED when they were able to open...
This is an old picture of the inside...they had to remove half their tables.

The Iowa "Guidelines" for restaurants are complicated.

For starters, the restaurant can only operate at 50% capacity, so they have to either remove half their tables, or mark them as "no seating".  The new rules require a 6' social distance between every table.  Also, there cannot be a group with more than 6 people eating together.

There isn't anything community on the table -- no more salt and pepper shakers, napkin holders, ketchup bottles, etc.

So, in this new world -- our lives will be full of those individual little packets of salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard, salad dressings, etc.

They must also use paper (disposable) menus...and the staff must wear facemasks and gloves...AND stay 6 ft. away from the customers at all times (customers are not required to wear facemasks).

Some of the fancier places are taking reservations.  But the cafes, diners and family restaurants are doing more of a "call ahead" procedure.  You drive into the parking lot, call their phone number, and if they have a table available, you can go inside.  If they are at capacity, you're told where you are in the que (#6, for example) -- and they will call you when they have a table for you. 

Obviously, it will be hard to rebuild their business...because a lot of people are still afraid.  And I can only imagine all the extra costs they're dealing with.

I'm just sayin' -- I'm rooting for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment