Monday, May 4, 2020

Monday, May 4, 2020

Today, I'm on a road trip!! HOORAY! FINALLY -- I get to burn up some $1.06 gas.....

I'm driving to a little town in Illinois to meet Rhonda Pierce. We'll talk about what's next for Schmetz Inspired To Sew magazine.

We loved working on the last two issues -- about 4-H.  It was such a big topic to cover, it required TWO issues...

https://issuu.com/schmetneedles/docs/its77-may20?fr=sYTM1ZDE3NTM3.

https://issuu.com/schmetzneedles/docs/its76-apr20-cv?fr=sMTRhMTE3NTM3

The next issue will be quite unexpected, I think...but it's a secret for right now...

Planning this little day trip has made me realize that this LOCK DOWN we've been in is beginning to lighten up.  WHICH IS GREAT...

But it's also made me think about this new world we're living in...and the fact that so many things will NEVER go back to the way they were.

My life has been SO EXTREMELY DIFFERENT...every single day....I've missed so many ordinary things..... Hugs with my grandkids...family gatherings, getting together with friends, going to the swimming pool, eating at restaurants and thrift store shopping!

Willy-nilly touching and then pushing a cart through a store without wearing a mask. HOLY COW. Who ever would have thought life could change so completely...and SO QUICKLY??

Not to mention the things like THEATER...airplane travel, music festivals, county fairs, sewing conventions, trade shows, sitting next to strangers in a classroom...or being elbow to elbow at a crowded estate sale...

And, obviously, I'm not the woman who will consider the REAL issues coming at us. Like -- how many of our small businesses won't survive? How many jobs have been lost forever? What happens to a building if nobody pays rent for 6 months? What does the future look like for colleges and universities?

The domino affect will be huge and long lasting. For example, Ross works at Genesis Hospital. It is the largest regional health care provider in Eastern Iowa, and they are laying off employees (including nurses) right and left. Because everybody has been too scared to go into a hospital -- the ER is down by 80%, and elective surgeries were cancelled all together. They are predicting a $70 million LOSS for 2020.

The ramifications of this thing are mind-boggling...

****************

All I can say is -- THANK GOD I can sew. Every day, I do something productive...or creative... something that makes me feel useful.

This week, I'm going to focus on making a special t-shirt quilt....

******
MMWI:229.2 ugh...


No comments:

Post a Comment