Monday, August 13, 2012

Yes, she can smile

The other day, my friend Linda said she wanted to see a picture of Lillian SMILING. I didn't realize I'd posted so many grouchy pictures of her. Lilly is a pensive child. She doesn't believe in smiling for no good reason...

Which became obvious to me as I reviewed the dozens of photos I took this summer...In this one, she is smiling...isn't she?





Here, licking the bowl after making her Dad's birthday cake...that's almost a smile, isn't it?

With our cousin Avery, after swimming in Aunt Deena's blow up pool -- it was SO CLOSE to a real smile...

HERE IT IS -- well worth the wait -- the Lilly Smile -- trying on a wig she found in her dress-up chest...

She is a thoughtful, pensive child. And I often marvel at all the things she HAS figured out in a scant three years. Although Lilly speaks very clearly -- I don't always understand every word. The other day, we were at the Farmer's Market at the city park in Camanche, Iowa.

We were walking back to the car when she said, "they have same sex"...




I looked at her and said, "what?"

Lilly pointed, "look, grandma -- same sex" ...

I followed her finger, and saw two men selling tomatoes...and I said, "yes, honey, we live in Iowa -- it's legal here."

A nearby woman laughed and said, "I think she's pointing to the SWING SETS"...

I'm telling you -- when you are this little -- just trying to communicate with the big people around you is EXHAUSTING...

No comments:

Post a Comment