Saturday, August 25, 2012

Stop to Smell the Roses

What happened to the summer, people?? The kids are already back in school. I HATE THAT. In the good old days -- we didn't go back to school until after Labor Day. All the things I wanted to do -- and zoom -- summer is over.

But I DID make hay while the sun was shining. Even though it was a very abbreviated summer. I planned one big VISIT every week. Like -- this FABULOUS day with my friend Patsy. Thanks to her wonderful daughter-in-law, Heather -- we hooked up at a great Italian restaurant. We ate, we laughed, we caught up with each other's family news -- we cried a little and laughed some more. We both sew every single day -- it's always interesting to hear what OTHER women are sewing...


There were many important summer birthdays...Elliott, my cousin Kim, my brother Calvin, John. The Farro Family Birthday Cake is always the same. Chocolate -- with peanut butter icing. YUMMO...

I had Calvin and Jeanne over for a steak dinner to celebrate his birthday. It was nice to have Ross home that day to take this rare picture....
Cal's birthday dinner starts the same every year -- porterhouse steak and Army potatoes (Dad's favorite). From there -- I mix it up.

But, hey -- the food is not really the point. It's about making priorities...and deciding what's important. If you're too busy to spend an ordinary afternon -- once a week -- with the people who matter to you the most -- you're doing it wrong.

Because before you know it -- summer is over and the kids are back in school. (yes, that's a metaphor)...

No comments:

Post a Comment