Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Women Friends

In 1973, John and I moved into a house in Pine Grove, Pennsylvania. On that first day, I met my neighbor, Kathy Keefer. And that was it. We became lifelong friends. You never know when that's going to happen. Maybe tomorrow you'll meet somebody at a sewing class -- or your new friend will move into the house next door. The first time you talk -- you'll just click.

I LOVE that about life. You never know when you will meet somebody who will be that kind of woman friend. And you know what a big fan I am of WOMEN FRIENDS...

Kathy and I talked every day, and we'd get together to pick fruit at the local orchards or from our own gardens -- and we'd do canning. We loved making jam or pickles -- canning beans or tomatoes. We'd cook pies six at a time for our freezers. Depending on the season -- they could be apple, pumpkin, cherry... The year Ross was born, we had a scheme which involved making and selling 20 dozen doughnuts...unfortunately, the minute we plugged in all three fryers -- the electricity went dead...and then we got a 20" blizzard...

Fast forward twenty five years. Ross had a job in Harrisburg -- I suggested he stay with the Keefer's until he found a place. He was reluctant -- but after two days in her home -- Ross became like one of her own. He LOVED everything about the Keefer family -- especially Kathy's cooking. She makes an amazing shoofly pie...






But the thing that really bonded Kathy and her new son Ross was their mutual love of dogs. Oh My God....Ross loved Kathy's dogs. She usually has two or three dogs in the house. Along with an assortment of outside cats and other stray animals...
Kathy's dog Peter did the best dog trick I personally ever witnessed. Often. In the middle of a conversation, Kathy would say, "Peter -- bring me my smokes."

Peter would perk up and calmly trot around -- searching every room in the house until he found her pack of Marlboro's. Then, he'd bring them to her, gently setting them in her lap.

Kathy never skipped a beat. After Peter delivered her smokes, she'd absently pat him on the head...sometimes she'd say "now go find my lighter, buddy..."

Peter is gone now. And Kathy quit smoking. Sadly, we both had to quit eating apple pies. But I know that's what happens. Because life is all about change. And I'm just glad we were smart enough to enjoy those moments while they lasted...




No comments:

Post a Comment