Monday, October 3, 2011

Project Runway

The most fun thing for me this week was that I watched this episode in a lovely hotel room in Chantilly, Virginia, with my friend Rhonda -- who usually does NOT watch Project Runway. (I also made her watch Dance Moms -- so you can appreciate her level of suffering...)

The challenge was to create a "hip new" 70's look that could be sold on Piperline.com. They had $100 for their usual mad dash through Mood -- and Anya lost her money. So, Anthony Ryan gave her the $11.50 he had left -- and other than that, she had to use muslin or depend on the scraps from the other designers...

And she WON THE CHALLENGE when she came up with THIS. The orange top of the first look is the muslin she dyed. I loved the way Anya stuck with the challenge...and she was on her way to some pretty nifty pleating in the back of the top when Tim announced the twist -- a "second look" along with a second shopping trip to Mood. (Lucky break for Anya?) Although -- her jumpsuit was way-too-big-for-the-model -- the judges loved it.



The biggest surprise of this episode was that Kimberly was SAFE!! Really, judges?? With a top that was held together by an obvious safety pin? It was shocking to me that she was riding the middle of the pack...

And Nina is sooo hard on Laura -- I don't get it. She actually rolls her eyes when they're talking about Laura's garments -- which were WAY BETTER than what Kimberly did this week.

Oh -- for no particular reason -- the judges also decided to "produce" one of Bert's outfits -- the beige dress. Wha?? Does that mean he is also the winner? That seemed very random to me -- and I didn't really understand why they did that.

But -- obviously -- Viktor was robbed. He is the only one who put up two complete looks -- with intricate details and spot-0n design elements. Viktor knows what he is doing and he very calmly designs his way around the competition every single week...managing his time, making good choices, and staying true to his own aesthetic AND whatever the challenge is. Viktor's garments go down the runway FINISHED -- spot-on -- with buttons AND hems...

At the end of the day -- poor Anthony Ryan went home. Which was deserved...more or less. If I was a judge -- I would've sent Joshua home just for all the whining he did about "NOT UNDERSTANDING the 70's". Like since he wasn't alive then -- they shouldn't expect him to take inspiration from that decade.

Get a grip, son...

MOSTLY -- I'm excited about the Chris March show that starts tomorrow...!! He was one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITES...and I can hardly wait.

1 comment:

  1. Ok - I caved and finally watched the 70's PR episode.
    This was the first episode I finally liked on quite a few levels.
    1. There was actual design work done.
    2. Perseverance in the face of adversity (Anya)
    3. Two looks that were cohesive (Victor)
    I am down to those two battling it out for the winning spot.
    I think the producers have decided they want to have these young, hip, inexperienced (*not know the 70's vibe -that 70's show (?!))designers so they create drama on the set. Either that or there are no more designers in America who have NOT been discovered.

    ReplyDelete