Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July

This is the latest episode of "Aunt Rita's Adventures".

In my ongoing effort to spend a one-on-one day this summer with each of my great nephews (and Memphis)-- Cale was next on my list. Last summer, I took him to a Mark Twain theater event. He is eleven years old now -- a quiet, studious type.

Amy did not tell him where we were going. John and I picked him up at 5:00 in the afternoon -- and went to a family restaurant for dinner. (The only time he's ever been there was the OTHER time I took him...lol...)


At 6:30, we arrived at the Adler Theater in downtown Davenport.

The event was the Army's "Soldier's Show". I didn't know much about it. It was a free concert, and I thought the evening would be a good chance for Cale to visit with Uncle John. Which is exactly what happened. During dinner, Cale and John talked about the Navy, basic training, submarines, the cold war, etc. Cale asked astute questions -- and his math ability was stunning.


The evening was a musical review -- to honor the soldiers, past and present, their families and the places they've served. It was an accomplished cast of performers -- with singing and dancing. The highlight for me was the Toby Keith song, "The Red, White & Blue" ...a real tear jerker with two big screens showing video of soldiers and the World Trade Center. Cale loved the Lady Gaga number (I don't know what that was about). But John definitely enjoyed the finale -- when all the performers were in their uniforms, and they introduced themselves in formation, saluting and saying what unit they were serving with. The last song was, of course, "America"...and it got a standing ovation.

At some point, during today's Forth of July celebration -- we should think about the soldiers and sailors who serve...

And always remember that freedom is never free...

No comments:

Post a Comment