Monday, March 7, 2011

Winter Laundry

Spring is just around the corner. THANK GOD. Like everybody else in North America -- I've had ENOUGH OF WINTER. One of the things I miss the most is hanging my sheets out on the line to dry.

This is a poor picture of some beautiful cotton pillowcases from my collection... very yellowed...maybe they've been in a cedar chest for the last 50 years...



I always start by soaking them in plain water overnight. THEN, I add a heavy dose of Oxyclean for another overnight soak. THEN, I wash them in warm water and rinse at least two times...The last step in the process is ALWAYS to hang the sheets outside on the line and let the sun do it's job.



Oh, yes...bumping into these pictures made me remember how much I miss the smell of line dried sheets and pillowcases...

I do TRY to hang outside, even in the winter -- but it doesn't work great. When the weather is so cold, the sheets just freeze up, and I have to bring them inside to actually get dry anyway...So I have been using the clothes dryer...


BUT NOT FOR MUCH LONGER...pretty soon, John will be out there mowing the grass...and I'll be hanging up a load of sheets
SUNSHINE...and warm weather...I can barely remember...

But, for me, this is all the more reason I love living in Iowa. The long winter makes you really, really appreicate the spring blossoms...

And there is nothing more beutifu in the world than daffodils and tulips...

No comments:

Post a Comment