Friday, August 2, 2019

Mom's Summer Chicken Salad


I can't believe I've never posted the recipe for Mom's chicken salad. Almost every porch luncheon starts, of course with POPOVERS...(recipe always on the side of this blog)...
Because NOTHING IS EASIER than popovers!!
With my Mom's chicken salad and some fresh fruit...it is the PERFECT summer lunch
Last year, the MDF came for lunch -- along with my sister Ronda.
The STAR of the luncheon was Mom's chicken/macaroni salad. DELISH..!!

Here are the main players in Mom's chicken salad:

1 whole rotisserie chicken, picked off the bone and chopped (thank you, Costco, for coming to town)...
1 box of elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
1 whole stalk of celery, chopped
1 cup of green grapes, halved
1/2 cup of sweet gherkin pickles, chopped
1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped

Toss all these ingredients with the following dressing:

1 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 cup of sugar
3 tb. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of milk

***********
As I reviewed this recipe, I realize the amounts are approximate -- and, of course, you may choose to leave out the pickles or the walnuts.  And it makes a HUGE quantity...which is what I'm always going for.  I actually think it's better the next day, after the chicken and macaroni have soaked up the dressing.  Sometimes, at that point, I make a half-batch of dressing to re-dress the salad. 

But, of course, it is so delicious, you may NEVER have to deal with leftovers..!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rita, This salad sounds so yummy - it's going to the band pot luck tonight. I just need to know how big is your box of macaroni? 2 lb? Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, Anne...I didn't see this soon enough. I start with a one pound box of macaroni. It's amazing if the chicken and macaroni are in equal amounts.

    ReplyDelete