Wednesday, August 7, 2019

BEST DEAL EVER..!!

Okay -- here's a story I haven't told yet. Mostly because I lost the PICTURES that went with it. But I found them now -- so we're gonna go back a few months...
Remember when I found that FIRST KENMORE for Carrie? Here I am with that machine, and Carrie's daughter Elizabeth -- who REALLY, REALLY WANTED to learn how to sew.
At the time, Ronda was envious of that machine, because as much as she loves her Featherweights (she has 3 of them) -- she occasionally wishes she had a machine that could do a zig-zag stitch...

So, of course, eventually led to our big discovery of Kenmore #2 --

BUT -- before that happened -- Ronda and I were talking about the very different sewing we do.

As you know -- I AM STRICTLY a Frankensewing kind of girl.

And Ronda's sewing love is all about the ragged edge flannel blankets.  She does straight-stitch sewing 98% of the time...and FASTER is the name of her game.

Then, I remembered I had this sewing machine sitting in my upstairs closet.  Buried, really.  For over 20 years. And HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? WHERE DID IT COME FROM? AND WHY DO I HAVE IT??

Hummm...I wonder if this might be a good machine for Ronda and her flannel blankets..??
It's an odd, kind of trapazoid case...
In doing a little internet research about the Kenmore #158 -- I was once again sucked into some Singer websites -- and I learned that the Singer #301 was considered then (and still today) to be the finest straight-stitch sewing machine ever manufactured. Singer built a factory JUST TO MANUFACTURE this revolutionary new, slant-needle, straight stitch sewing machine...and it will stitch 1500 stitches a minute..!!

Wait...they talked about the unique trapazoid suitcase it came in...

Could it be....

Is it even possible??

Why didn't I know any of this 20 years ago??
YEP.  In perfect condition -- this is the famous Singer #301.  The finest straight-stitch sewing machine ever invented or manufactured.
AND THIS SUCKER REALLY DOES FLY..!!
Ronda said the speed is unbelievable. Although she loved sewing on her Featherweight -- making an entire blanket would take about 20 hours.

But now??   She's doing it in 30 minutes...

2 comments: