Thursday, May 23, 2019

Why Write?

I write every single day. But I don't write fiction, or short stories, or memoirs.  Nothing I ever write is going to hit the new York Times bestseller list. 

Non-fiction is my jam. Always.

Over the years, I've written hundreds of class descriptions, marketing materials, brochures, newsletters -- the kind of everyday, necessary, basic non-exciting stuff that you read without ever thinking "I wonder who wrote that?"

It's just possible I'm not making this sound as exciting as it really is.  But -- just maybe, after you read something I wrote -- you sign up for a class, decide to attend a sewing retreat...or you create a scavenger hunt for your grandkids...

Writing is like cooking -- everybody has their own techniques or favorite tools. And, frankly, some things turn out better than others.

I love doing the research, talking to people, reading their books, visiting their websites. I listen to their stories....and I take pages and pages of notes.

When I'm working on an article, I am on a mission. I read my notes over again and again, looking for the "hook". The one thing that makes THIS story unique -- or helps me to see a different point of view. I generally have a beginning, middle and end in my head before I write the first paragraph.

But, often, I start to write, realize it's boring, trite or BAD....so I throw it out, go back my notes...and begin again.  Sometimes, when I get stumped -- I wake up in the middle of the night knowing EXACTLY what I need to do to connect all the dots.

For me,  there is nothing better than getting "into the zone" when I'm writing.

But writing is more than a job for me.  Writing is how I figure things out.  And most of my writing has nothing to do with being paid for it.  I write to people I love -- I write about my life, I give them advice THAT'S THE MOST FUN...and I journal the disturbing things that happen in my own life. 

It is easier to communicate with the written word.  For one thing, you can control your message...because sometimes, if it's a difficult subject, you start to cry...and then all that snot gets in the way...and the other person doesn't actually understand the point you're trying to make...

Anyway -- I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.  Writing, that is.  And if you want a little inspiration -- these are my two favorite books about writing.  Then, take a lesson from those people at Nike -- and JUST DO IT...!!








No comments:

Post a Comment