Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Goal #1: Housework

My new #1 daily goal is the one thing on my list I HATE to do. Housework.

AS YOU WELL KNOW -- Every Monday, Carrie comes to help me clean my house. And for a brief moment in time -- everything is in order...and all is right with the world.

Carrie ALWAYS brings cupcakes for my birthday!!
Everybody who has a cleaning lady knows that you must CLEAN BEFORE THEY COME. For crying out loud, if Carrie saw how this house looked on a typical Sunday night -- she wouldn't come within ten miles of the place!!!

If I'm here when she comes.... I get out of her way. I go to the basement and sort through the week's worth of laundry. I fold clothes and hang the sheets out on the line. I stay in the basement, listening to an audio book, while Carrie puts my house in order. I might do a little sewing or mending, but when I hear the vacuum running, I know she's almost done...and she'll be coming down the steps to help me bring up the last basket of clothes.

And I am grateful.   Everybody needs a little help now and then, I'm just sayin'...and when it comes to housework -- I GET NO JOY FROM THAT JOB.

Which is why I'm making "Housework" the #1 thing on my Daily Goals List.  Because, even though Carrie is a wonderful housekeeper, and totally willing to do any job I need done -- there are these little piles of junk ONLY I  CAN deal with.  Like the pile of stuff sitting next to my favorite chair.  It's a random assortment of books, magazines, articles, cards, crafts, sewing projects, bits and pieces of a life....and I am the only one who knows what matters and what is just random stuff.

I have a similar pile on the end of my kitchen counter...on the nightstand in my bedroom...next to the washing machine...well, you get the idea.

Carrie has NEVER THROWN AWAY anything of value.  She neatly stacks things where she finds them...and if I don't deal with them -- the next week, those piles just get higher....

I decided NOT to take any "before" pictures of my trouble spots.  You'll just have to take my word for it...

So, my goal is to spend ONE HOUR EACH DAY working on my little rabbit-warrens.  My hope is that by forcing myself to do this #1 dreaded job -- the next three things on my list of Daily Goals will be my REWARD.

Hey -- this could work...

Tomorrow -- #2 on my list...

ONE HOUR OF S.E.W.I.N.G...!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Rita, I also have those piles of things - one on the kitchen counter, one on the kitchen table (shoved aside when we sit down to dinner), one on top of the giant dog crate (just because it's a convenient height to drop the mail...you get the picture. I call all those my "piles of doom" - and eventually I sit down and go through them, vanquish everything and say, "i'm not going to have any more of those piles." That isn't reality, though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M glad I'm not the only one!! And, yes, REALITY SUCKS...

      Delete
  2. You should see my little "craft" table that is tucked in a nook in my sewing studio. Have never actually done a craft on that table in the 16 years we have lived in this house. And the piles in my Jim's office. I just stay out of there....lol

    ReplyDelete