Wednesday, May 15, 2019

#2: S.E.W.I.N.G

Ahhh...sewing. There isn't a day I don't sew SOMETHING. The best thing about having SEWING as a hobby is that it's always different. For the last coupla days, I've been focused on Frankensewing some sheet sets to give as gifts. Although I often find BEAUTIFUL SHEETS at thrift stores, many of them are orphans, so it's fun for me to create a "set" -- by making new pillowcases, or adding a decorative hem...I think they are the perfect gift.

Last month, my total focus was making outfits for NEW YORK CITY...it was so much fun to plan what I would pack, and how everything would go together...
Altho I didn't sew this purse -- I did mod podge both sides...

And I IRONED the Statue of Liberty on the back of my raincoat...
I cut off the sleeves, and added a side panel so this blouse could be an easy-to-pack vest (that went with everything).
You know -- I LIVE TO FRANKENSEW...there really is nothing I'd rather do. Last week, my cousin needed some summer pants (can we still call them pedal pushers?)...so I cut off some too-long pants, and turned them into shorts and/or capri pants...

Lilly is OFTEN the recipient of my Frankensewed creations...although some of them are HITS... many of them are MISSES...like this GREAT corduroy coat.
I paid 44 cents for this GREAT corduroy peacoat.  But it was too small for Lilly...so, of course, I Frankensewed IT...I cut off the sleeves (and used them to make new side panels) -- then, I put two new sleeves on that I cut out of a sweater. I LOVED THE WAY THIS COAT TURNED OUT.  But Lilly never really wore it...hey...that's the way it goes!
Another GREAT thing about sewing is that it changes...as your taste changes, or your interests...you learn new techniques, you get better equipment...

For example -- the first ragged edge quilt I ever made was for Lilly -- when she was 4 years old...
Lilly picked the fabrics for her own ragged edge quilt -- and she uses it every time she sleeps at my house. At the time, I inserted a couple of t-shirts...
So -- then -- FAST FORWARD...obviously, my love of snarky t-shirts has become a near obsession... and this ragged edge quilt was made almost ENTIRELY out of t-shirts instead of flannel
This is Elliott's "Lazyboy Recliner" t-shirt quilt...and it has t-shirts from every part of his adult life...his time in the Army, his favorite sports teams, his love for dogs, his business...
AND I HATE TO THINK of how many hours I had in my Quilt-As-You-Go Splendid Sampler project. I finally finished it at the S.E.W. Retreat last fall -- with Mary, Rhonda and Deanna.  Sewin with your girlfriends takes things to a whole different level.

HOW CAN I LIMIT THIS TO JUST ONE HOUR A DAY???

2 comments:

  1. You are so super and creative! Lily is so lucky to have you as someone to look up too. I can just see her "teaching" all the fun stuff, to her grandkids one day, that you've shared with her. Rag quilts are fun and cozy and fun to hunt fabrics for, like in the remnants pile. What a great idea to do one outta tshirts. So very neat!! Your splendid sampler quilt is awesome. Great pic of you with it. Thanks for sharing on your blog. You make my day alot better. Enjoy your day!! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete