Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Letters to Jackie...

My cousin Jackie and I grew up together.  We both moved away from Iowa...I came back, she never really did.

When computers were new -- we started writing emails to each other. Remember -- at the time, a long distance phone call was expensive.

Even after we all got "free long distance" -- we continued with our regular email correspondence.

Right now, she lives in North Carolina.  I write a chatty email to her every week...and the benefits of this are HUGE.  Sometimes, I figure things out just by writing about them.  But most of the time -- these emails serve as a record for me...something I can look back on...or refer to...

Like, for example, what we did for Easter last year.  Who did I invite?  What did I cook?...that kind of thing...

*******************

The subject line of this email was...2018 Easter Report

April 1, 2018

Dear Jackie,

Soooo...it’s 8:30 PM, and  I’m sitting in my chair, with my feet up.  The house is quiet...John is up in his room and Frank is asleep on my lap.  THE THREE OF US ARE EXHAUSTED...

But, on a scale of 1 to 10 -- I’ve gotta give my Easter Dinner a legitimate 9.  Seriously -- if I hadn’t burned the lemon meringue pie, it would have been a perfect 10.  The ham was fantastic,  the cheesy hashbrowns were a big hit, and the cowboy beans were awesome.  Jeanne brought homemade rolls and the green salad...Emily contributed the deviled eggs and sausage cups. 

Jack got here at 2:30, Cal, Jeanne and Kelly arrived right at 3:00, and John started to slice the ham...the E team walked in a few minutes after 3:00.  Emily and Kelly sat in the living room with the kids.  Of course, they were both hopped up on Easter Bunny candy, so the meal was wasted on them...

Calvin and Jack both raved about the food, but Cal was ready to go the minute he finished eating...(that's just his way).  That was fine...I sent coconut pie home with them.  AND I also made up a bag of leftovers for Jack, and another basket for Valerie.

After we ate, I ramped up the Scavenger hunt for Lilly and Warren.  THEY LOVE DOING THAT...and it’s a lot of work to write all those lame clues!!  I basically had four gifts for each of them -- and sent them upstairs, then down to the basement, then outside, into the cars, etc.  The hunt is a lot more fun than the actual gifts.

Everybody was gone by 5:00, so I decided to deliver Val's Easter Dinner leftovers 

So that’s what I did.  On my way into town, I listened to a wonderful book  -- The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohajalian.

I’m on the last disc of the book (there are 9 of them)...and I am at that point where I really want it to find out what happens to these people.  He is a wonderful writer...and I’m going to look for his other books. 
I fixed Val a plate of food, and we visited for a little bit.....but I wanted to get home before it was dead dark....  I drove home slow -- listening to The Sandcastle Girls.   I will be sad I’m finished with this book...

Carrie comes tomorrow...and IT’S ALL ABOUT CLEARING THIS CLUTTER, INCLUDING CLEANING THESE HORRIBLE STUFFED CLOSETS...TO PREPARE FOR THE NEW CARPETING..!!
Hey -- Easter 2018 is behind me...nobody got hurt...and I AM DELIGHTED!!
love,
rita
******************

You have NO IDEA how often I look back on these emails to Jackie,  For example, this weekend is Memorial Day -- and, for the life of me, I couldn't remember what we did last year.  Did we have a cookout?  Should I  buy hot dogs?  Who was invited?  What did I make?

It seems like every holiday, I have to look back on these emails to remember my own history.  Where we went, who was invited, what we ate, etc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment