Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The Lilly Room Transition...

So -- okay -- here's the deal. There are two problems with setting up the new "kid room" situation in my house.

First of all -- these two children have been sharing a room (at their home AND at my house) -- and they're quite used to it.

Secondly -- the upstairs bedroom -- (which is HUGE) is -- well -- UPSTAIRS.

The kids have always lived in a one-story ranch home...and the whole concept of UP THE STEPS feels like a trip to them....traveling to a foreign country...to a land that time forgot...

I really hadn't considered what a BIG CHANGE this was gonna be. Although, at first, Lilly was excited about having her own big space...as we got right down to it, she said, "that big room upstairs creeps me out".

Ugh.

So, this transition is gonna take some time...

I hoped making that room the Grandma Escape Room would make it a fun, happy place for them...

I decorated it with some twinkle lights (which can be kinda permanent)…
At nighttime, the lights look beautiful...
I turned my puzzle table into their new game/activity table...

It was clear to me that they want to SLEEP in the same room -- so, fine.  That'll work for now.  At least their clothes can live in different rooms...this will be a good transition.

Everybody hates change.

The key is patience.

And, hopefully, at some point, the room will not creep them out... 
On their first official night of sleeping in the room -- they slept like babies!!  Neither of them got up during the night.  It was after 10:00 when I tried to wake them up...
As an extra treat -- I served them BREAKFAST IN BED.
I'm glad I took a picture. One day, I hope this is a sweet memory for them...

1 comment:

  1. Neat pictures! Im sure they will have amazing memories. They are lucky to be loved so very much! Maybe they just don't realize how cool that room is yet! It looks amazing! And the lights are super cool. You're right about change though, it's difficult to do but sometimes it's the best thing ever after the transition! Have a great evening! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete