Tuesday, January 1, 2019

New Year's Tradition.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Every year, since 1970 (OMG...that's 49 years now!!) I have been making the same meal on New Year's Day.

On January 1, I make pork and sauerkraut. It is a tradition from John's Pennsylvania roots -- and  it's supposed to "bring you luck"...and so far, it's working. We attribute every bit of our happiness and good fortune to our New Year's Tradition of eating fresh pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day.


The side dishes may change -- but it is ALWAYS a large fresh pork roast with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. This tradition is very popular in Pennsylvania. And as near as I can tell -- IT DOES NOT MATTER where your people came from -- Italy, Ireland, Poland -- every family in Pennsylvania eats the same menu on January First.

This year -- Popovers!!
Shockingly, little kids don't like pork and sauerkraut... It's kind of an adult-acquired taste...And -- HEY -- January 1 is also Warren's Birthday!!  So the kids don't come to my house for this meal.  I don't want his birthday memories to center around food he did not like...

So -- we'll visit Warren later on in the day to eat the Farro Family Birthday cake (Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter icing)...

This year, we'll share our special New Year's meal with Ross, my brother Cal, and our friend Jack.  I'll make a HUGE fresh pork roast.  After many hours of cooking low and slow in my Dutch Oven, I'll add two large jars of Frank's sauerkraut.  (with an apple, cut in quarters).  There will be a large bowl of mashed potatoes, and Popovers.  I'm also making an apple salad, deviled eggs...and coconut custard pie for dessert.

Years ago, my parents came on New Year's Day....but, alas, life changes.  I miss them every day.  But,  hey -- the key to happiness is learning how to ACCEPT CHANGE....

Maybe that's a good thing to remember on New Year's Day. Don't worry about the way it used to be -- but enjoy TODAY...and live in the moment.

Eleanor Roosevelt said it best...

Yesterday is History, 
Tomorrow is a Mystery...
Today is a gift.
That's why they call it the present...




No comments:

Post a Comment