Thursday, January 17, 2019

My Bed Linen/Thrifting Obsession

Chances are good that you have never met anybody who is more obsessed with their bed linens than I am. For crying out loud -- 20 years ago, I wrote a book about it!! (Dress Your Dream Bed)…!!

As my life moved on -- it became a delightful, consuming hobby, and I am always learning or discovering new things about cotton and/or linen bedding.  It is the perfect, useful, practical hobby.  I mean -- I actually USE these bed linens.  It is a moment of luxury in my day when I get into bed to sleep between delicious, fragrant cotton sheets.

There are many elements to this useful hobby.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE HUNT...and, as you know,  SHOPPING IN THRIFT STORES is my never-ending obsession...so, I have acquired a HUGE collection of bed linens.

Then, I love the laundry aspect of this collection.  There is nothing more thrilling than taking a dingy, poorly-stored, yellowed, vintage sheet...soaking it overnight, then washing it...then hanging it out on the line!!  Oh....the heaven of it all!!
I know a good label when I see it.  Ralph Lauren makes a very nice sheet.  This Queen size top sheet was blue...and I love the decorative hem.
I knew this was a quality cotton sheet...but I was not familiar with the label.  Although, it was in such great condition...it couldn't have been laundered often...hummm...
THEN I noticed the little appliqued swan on the other corner...(Note to self:  Rita, Google this...)
There were actually TWO of these Queen Size flat sheets with the little swan label...
I bought three Queen flat sheets that day.
The color of the week was YELLOW...so I only paid $2 apiece...
OF COURSE I couldn't wait to get home and Google the strange brand. Thank God for the Internet...AND -- if we're going to believe what it says about my striped sheets (and what choice to we have nowadays?)   Yves Delorme is a brand in Paris, France and each sheet would  cost $245. (I have provided hyperlinks for your enjoyment)

Okay, now...let's say it all together now...

R.I.T.A....L.U.C.K....

And, oh, yeah -- Valerie and I both LOVED sleeping under the Yves Deloreme striped sheets!!  It's those sweet moments that make life worth living, y'know...

3 comments:

  1. Are you kidding? I love a new to me set of sheets!! I love have a lovely choice of sheets every Saturday morning! I love mixing and matching my sets. I love taking a bath just before bed on Saturday night and sliding into those crisp clean sheets! I do NOT believe in taking sheets off the bed, washing them, and putting them right back on. It lacks imagination for what sleeping can be! Besides, I can change my sheets every Saturday for quite a few weeks before I have to do sheets in the laundry, and I can keep up with my young family. I love ironing my sheets and pillow cases too! I don't think I will ever find such nice sheets but I am thrilled that someone who appreciates them has! They could have gone to a furniture mover lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bridget...WE ARE KINDRED SPIRITS!! I, too, love to mix and match...having a "set of sheets" clearly lacks imagination. EXACTLY!! I told Val to get the full benefit of these fabulous sheets, she has to start sleeping naked...

      Delete
  2. That is awesome!!! Unfortunately, in our little house I don't have the space to store a bunch of linens. So we have have only two sets of sheets.

    ReplyDelete