Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The BEST GIFT I ever gave...

Whether you believe it or not -- there are many things I do NOT BLOG about. Lol. My sex life is one of them…(you are SO MISSING that action)….Politics is another thing I try NEVER to write about (or discuss, for that matter).  Family or friend drama...and Good Deeds.

As an adult, I've lived by a certain creed. That I should do one good deed every single day...but it's only considered a good deed if I never talk about it.

However -- THIS IS JUST TOO MUCH FUN.  And, after giving it some serious thought,  and talking to my friend Valerie -- I've decided to blog about THE BEST GIFT I EVER GAVE...and it didn't cost me a nickel..

Valerie was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when she was 28 years old.  Her road through life has been a painful, uphill battle.  As a young single Mom, she went back to college, get a good job with the government, and maintained her own home.  Her struggles were enormous, but I never met a more uncomplaining person.  Even though she's had almost 20 major surgeries -- with many joint replacements, knees, hips, an elbow, hand fusions....you name a joint in your body and SHE WORE IT OUT TWICE...

On her best day, life is a painful challenge.  Then -- last year, she got a septic infection -- and ended up in the hospital and then a nursing home for weeks.

The worst thing was that because she had to be on major antibiotics for six months, she was unable to take her arthritis injections -- so the arthritis went nuts, and the pain was unbearable.  There were many, many days when she simply could not get out of bed.

So -- the question is -- what can I do for my friend?  She rarely leaves her home because she can no longer grip the steering wheel of her car.  Also, just walking and standing is too painful.  Not to mention the fact that she's terrified because her immune system is so compromised, any odd floating germ could send her back to the hospital.

NEW SHEETS FOR HER BED..!!

Of course!!  Why didn't I think of this sooner??

Although, the truth is -- GIVING Val new sheets is not an especially good gift.  She would never be able to pull wet queen size cotton sheets out of her washing machine...

That's when it hit me.  I'll start a SHEET SHARING SERVICE.

Val has a Queen size bed (like me)...so all the wonderful, luxurious linens I use on my own bed will fit her bed.

The first time I made Val's bed -- I took sheets and pillowcases.  I realized she could use a new mattress cover.  And, as it happens (this is shocking, I know) -- I had an extra Ralph Lauren Queen cotton mattress cover.  One week, I took two new bed pillows.  She loved the beige French Matlaisse bed cover I put on her bed.

When Fall arrived -- I added a flannel sheet.

Winter meant it was time for an appliqued quilt -- with a kids ice-skating scene!

For Christmas, I decorated a couple of pillowcases -- AND the hem of a top sheet. (I've never actually done this to MY OWN SHEETS..!!)

Val's bed-changing schedule is every-other week. Because she lives alone, she can sleep on ONE side for a week -- then on the OTHER side for a week.






P. S.   Please take note of the navy blue striped sheet that is on Val's bed...you're not gonna believe it...

7 comments:

  1. What an awesome gift to give your friend! So cool! You are so thoughtful and creative! Bless your heart! Enjoy your day!! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, what a wonderful idea and certainly not one I would have ever thought of. Sometimes we need to give people a service, not just things. Something like this could be done in many situations. Also, knowing you from your blog, I'll bet you take the time and visit with Val when you go to change the bed. Now that you shared this, I'll be watching for situations where I can do the same, and I'll be other readers will do the same. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Loy, your comment absolutely MADE MY DAY!! Val has thanked me 10 times a day since I started making her bed. And we both look forward to the visits!!

      Delete
    2. Oh Rita, thank you. No matter what you write about, reading your blogs is a highlight of my day.

      Delete
  3. Rita is the BEST friend anyone could ever have! She is constantly sharing her Ritaluck with me! You forgot to mention the first word that came to mind the FIRST time I slept in "our" sheets....BEDGASM! Love, Val

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, I'm so impressed that you managed to comment on my blog!! THAT ain't easy...and what a treat for me. Your next sheets have been hanging out on the line for two days (in a blizzard, even)...so their outdoor fragrance will be AMAZING...

    ReplyDelete