Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Snow Plows

So -- it snowed. Again. Gheesh...this winter is never-ending. If it wasn't for my brother Calvin, we would not have been able to get out of our driveway for the last two weeks.

Lucky for me, Cal has 50+ years of experience running heavy equipment. He's one of those guys whose heated Pole building is bigger than his house. He has THREE tractors that can move snow...(he named them Small, Medium and Large). I lost count of how many times Cal has plowed us out this year. (and we have a VERY LONG lane).

The problem Sunday night was the WIND. Although we only had about 5 inches of snow over night...it was so cold (10 BELOW zero) and windy, we woke up Monday morning to 5' snow drifts across our lane...

I had pretty much resigned myself to BEING SNOWED IN. AGAIN. And I was bracing myself for a phone call from Carrie (my cleaning lady) telling me she wouldn't be able to get to my house...

You really can't imagine how surprised I was -- when -- at 9:00 AM -- Frankie started barking because he heard a tractor outside...!!

It was my brother, Cal -- on LARGE...and he was scooping out the snow drifts.
Although he makes it look EASY...it is certainly NOT easy...
We have a regular routine this year. When I hear him coming down the lane, I put on a pot of coffee...

The truth is, Cal and I have had more personal conversations this winter than we've had in the last 30 years....and I think we're both enjoying these visits.

In 2017, Cal had a heart surgery that went really, really wrong.  He was put into a coma, had a tracheotomy and a respirator -- and he was in intensive care for over 40 days.  During his recovery, he had a stroke...

So, when I hear that tractor coming down my lane...oh, yeah -- I am grateful.  For sooo many reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment