Tuesday, July 24, 2018

BEST EVER Summer Sandwich

Writing about Sophie, and thinking about how Lilly will always remember her made me think about all that.

Being remembered, I mean.

The real truth is -- You can never know what people will remember...

I certainly hope Lilly and Warren will remember all the wonderful things we did during Grandma Camp. Or -- do I have to worry that the only moments they remember will be those bad times when Grandma lost her patience, or, worse yet -- POPPED HER CORK (yes, we even have a term for a Grandma meltdown)...

Last week, I found out that a man I used to work for --Jay Ohland -- died in 2015. We haven't been in touch for many years, but it was sad for me to realize he's gone.

He was an architect and I was his secretary, and we worked together in Pottsville, Pennsylvania.

I think of Jay every summer...because of his favorite sandwich...

The incredible, delicious, cannot-wait-for-it-every-year-I-look-forward-to-eating-it...

Mayonnaise and Peanut Butter Tomato Sandwich...!!

These are the basic ingredients. Fresh, soft white bread: Chunky Peanut Butter on one slice, mayo on the other...
I lay the thick slices of tomato on a paper towel to absorb the extra juice...
Then, I lay the tomato down...salt to taste....
When Jay first told me about his MOST PERFECT SANDWICH...(in 1973)...I thought he was crazy. It sounded like a terrible idea. Those things cannot possibly go together!!
But I was wrong. And he was right. And this is a sandwich I've eaten every year for over 40 years...
I'm sure Jay will be remembered by his family and friends for many wonderful things...the buildings he built, the loving moments they shared. The vacations they took, or time they spent together.

But I like to think Jay would be delighted to know that I think of him every time I eat his favorite sandwich...

No comments:

Post a Comment