Thursday, February 1, 2018

Happy Birthday, Marion

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARION...(I know it was actually yesterday, but there are three good reasons I'm running this post today...and I don't want to waste your time explaining.  Just accept the belated Birthday Wishes...)

When we talked the other day, I was delighted to hear you are well and enjoying the beautiful weather in sunny Florida.  I am looking forward to our 2018 Road Trip...no matter where we go, it will be SPECTACULAR..!!

We've been to Chicago, New York City, Hershey, Lancaster, Pa., Florida, Savannah, Georgia, Aurora Minnesota, Iowa, Oregon, Sedona, Arizona, Toronto, Princeton, Iowa and Kingston, Canada.  WOW.  We are the lucky ones!!  Where to this year?  How will we decide??

Here are some random pictures.  When we met in Chicago, you were recovering from chemo...you booked us into a fabulous luxury hotel in downtown Chicago...where you did a little shopping therapy...

We had a wonderful time taking the Frank Lloyd Wright architectural tour...

And we LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the boat tour of Chicago...I'd recommend this to anybody visiting the Windy City!!

Of course -- you MUST go to the Art Institute....

This is one of my favorite pics -- a mirror shot in the hotel room.


For me, the living memento of that great Chicago trip -- when we stayed at the JAMES HOTEL -- was popovers!! I will always remember that fabulous dinner -- when they delivered a hot, crisp popover, in it's own little metal pan -- it was SO DELICIOUS....and as I went on and on about it...you were amazed, and said, "I can't believe you've never had a popover."

You have brought a lot of joy into my life, Marion -- and we've had so many wonderful trips together. Remember that little breakfast joint with five tables and the homemade bread?? Our writing workshop adventures in Iowa City...where we learned,

"why would anybody write fiction when the truth is so bizarre, it will NEVER let you down!"


Because we met when we were both in the fabric business -- there were sewing machine conventions -- you visiting my store, me visiting your stores. Your visits to Iowa -- sitting on the porch -- my trips to Kingston, Ontario -- learning how to Kayak (okay -- that never happened)..

OH MY GOD -- what was your favorite trip? NYC?? Upstate New York....visiting FDR's home -- and eating lunch at the CIA...??

Okay -- a random shot of Mary and her sister Sarah.  Pretty cute, eh?
OMG -- I was so fat!!  And you were so thin.  But, hey, Mary -- don't wear that top again.  It makes you look pregnant...
Thanks for all of it, Marion -- and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  I made popovers yesterday -- IN YOUR HONOR. (I'm trying NOT to eat Chocolate Cake).   I think of them as a gift you gave me. (even though, in ALL THE TIMES I VISITED YOU -- you never ONCE made me a popover!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment