Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The REST of the Figge

The day we went to see the Textile exhibit at the Figge -- we did briefly visit the REST of the museum. I am not, as a rule, a very good art museum person. I go...but often, I just don't get things...I feel like I'm one living the book, "The Emperor's New Clothes"...
I mean -- really??

BUT WHO WOULDN'T LOVE THIS??
They have a nice bunch of Frank Lloyd Wright furniture...
I always think how UNCOMFORTABLE it looks...
I have always loved Grant Wood.
The Figge has an exhibit about him, called Two Americans in Paris
This is the actual easel Grant Wood used...
He painted this while in Paris.....hummm...Grant Wood??  Really??
At the end of my visit with the Two Americans in Paris exhibit -- I identified with Grant Wood. In the 1920's, he was a simple Iowa boy who went to Paris, considered the cultural capitol of the world. Artists from all over the world went there to study and learn and hone their art. Paris became the experience that influenced them and changed their art forever.

It was a pivotal time in his life....and it could have gone in many directions. But Grant Wood remained that simple country boy -- and he decided to paint a field that looked like a field.  I think that must have been a brave choice...and I'd like to learn more about him....

Hummm -- Cedar Rapids, Iowa is the home of the Grant Wood Museum of Art.

My young friend Anne LIVES in Cedar Rapids.

I feel a ROAD TRIP coming on!!!

************

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Here's a picture of the Columbian Women's Cycling team. Somebody thought beige spandex was a good idea...
this picture has nothing to do with anything...I just couldn't stop laughing...and I wanted to share...

No comments:

Post a Comment