Thursday, May 15, 2014

Rita's Sew Fun Sew & Tell

There are so many wonderful elements to Mary's Iowa visits. For one thing, it's always the perfect excuse to have a Rita's Sew Fun reunion!! Many years ago -- I had a retail store in Clinton, Iowa called Rita's Sew Fun. We sold fabric, and sewing machines, and over 200 classes a year.

When I look back at how much work it was to run that business, I honestly cannot believe I did it. BUT, of course, it was only possible because of the extraordinary good people I had working with me....We were a great team...and I miss being a part of their daily lives...
The best women I know....Phyllis, Mary, (me), Judy and my sister Ronda...
At these get togethers -- there will ALWAYS be a Sew and Tell...
Judy is a prolific, perfectionist when it comes to sewing projects...
Ronda was sharing a dozen of her latest baby quilts...
Judy's table runner...
It was a unique flip and sew technique...
A whimsical applique wall hanging...
And a very special purse....
With custom pockets...
Embroidered Easter Potholders....(yes -- more JUDY projects)
Mary had a few projects to share...
Her newest passion is WRAPS...
THEN, as we were all hugging and saying goodbye -- I realized the jacket Judy was wearing was made out of an old quilt...
HOLY COW!! Once again -- THIS IS WHAT I LOVE ABOUT SEWING. As a lifetime hobby -- you just can't beat it. Every one of us has a different kind of sewing that lights us up.

Ronda loves flannel quilts and baby blankets -- Mary is the Applique Goddess AND a quick gift expert. I love recycling thrift store finds -- I'm wearing a jacket that I bought at the Goodwill store, with some raw edge applique (using a cut-up t-shirt). Phillis, on the other hand, is the complete opposite from me. She is a custom tailoring/fitting expert. She HAS sewn entire wedding parties. Six bridesmaid dresses, mother of the bride outfits, flower girls -- suits -- she knows how to fit even the most difficult body.

And Judy -- well, what can I say? She sews clothes which are impeccable, and she embroiders, she quilts, appliques....then crochets...knits...there isn't a type of sewing that she hasn't mastered. Then she will teach a class for the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment