Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Carpe Diem

You absolutely NEVER know what's going to happen in your life.

With the Quilt Market going on in Pittsburgh last week -- I got some fun pictures and text messages from my friends...and then, I heard Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson were bringing their terrific Super Seminar to Cedar Rapids, Iowa...which prompted me to look back on their 2011 visit to Bettendorf, Iowa...
And I had a lot of pictures of the wonderful, vibrant, full-of-energy-and-possibly-the-most-enthusiastic-woman-I-ever-met...Libby Lehman...
She was excited about the classes she was going to be teaching at the next Sew Expo...
On that day in Bettendorf, I had lunch with Libby. We ate at a little Italian place across the street. We'd met several times -- and we had many mutual friends.  On that day,  we were both relaxed, and couldn't stop laughing.  Libby was funny and irreverent...I remember thinking, "Libby is my kind of woman..."

Last week, Libby received a Distinguished Alumni award from Rice University.  Her sisters posted some pictures of the event on the Caring Bridge page .

When I think of Libby's sudden and shocking near-death experience, and the many challenges she's dealt with in the last year....and all the changes for her, her husband, son, sisters...it hits me.  AGAIN.  Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring...

Maybe when you woke up this morning, you thought your biggest problem would be getting that red wine stain out of your white carpet -- or finishing a report for your job -- or getting your car fixed.....

But what if today is the day?   The day an aneurysm bursts in your brain, or your child is diagnosed with cancer, or you have an accident that leaves you paralyzed.  In this last year -- these things have happened to friends of mine.

And from that MOMENT -- their lives were forever changed. And measured...by that moment... afterwards, it's always about BEFORE and AFTER...

So -- I keep thinking how important it is -- AND HOW DIFFICULT -- to enjoy your life....right now....right this minute. To be present.  To look around and really SEE where you are standing...and who you are with. And then APPRECIATE the good things you have, and to be truly grateful...

That's what you taught me today, Libby...

No comments:

Post a Comment