Saturday, September 25, 2021

The Pickle Question

Every day is another mission....and I wonder if I'm going to miss this level of activity after we actually MOVE.

Naaaaaawwww..........

When I look back at the last year, it's been one major clean-up after another. Starting with cleaning out the freezers...then, the closets. First, the master bedroom -- we took 8 giant garbage bags to the Goodwill store. Then, the upstairs hall closet...the living room coat closet...the storage closet in the front bedroom...Then, the game cabinet, the puzzle collection...

Of course -- THEN THERE WAS THE BASEMENT.....

Eventually, the tubs of linens, and all the expired cans and old beer in the root cellar...

The kitchen cupboards, and then the pantry...OMG....we filled at least 3 garbage bags full of expired cans.

By "we" -- I mean Carrie and me. Carrie has been helping me since she was 14 years old...(I think this year she will be 45?)...She knows this house better than I do -- and she is DELIGHTED I'm finally clearing out my clutter.

I'm not going to post before and after pictures of my Swedish Death Cleaning. I mean -- you've gotta be tired of that topic.

I am trying to make the most of our last summer in this house we built and loved so much.  Which means I have porch parties almost every week.  I have my sisters over once a month or so, and Linda and Don came for Brats on Memorial Day.  Last week, I had the MDF out for their last porch party.  Sue's favorite thing is deviled eggs.  

But here's the kind of big issue I'm dealing with now...

  Sue loves deviled eggs...

I make them with all the usual suspects...mayo, mustard, a little sugar -- and my secret ingredient is sweet pickle juice. (a tip from Val Brekke long long ago)...


I got the pickle jar out of the refrigerator -- and realized there are only two pickles left. 

Hummm... It probably took me a year to finish off this jar of sweet pickles. 

So -- should I buy another jar? 

Or wait until we move?

Oh, yeah.  Life's conundrums, eh? 

It's hard to find activities for John -- but he enjoyed peeling the eggs!


1 comment:

  1. Welllll...I can't lay claim to a lot of expired cans in my basement, but I will 'fess up to a couple of expired cake mixes, some Really expired microwave caramel corn, and some old jars of homemade jams with peppers in them (no, I did Not make them--they were given to Ron because he likes/liked "hot" stuff!). So that part of my cleaning should be pretty simple, right? If it were so with all the rest!!

    These "last" events at your long-time home are sweet occasions; I am glad you are able to do them, have friends over, etc. You will have that many more memories of your home!

    Sweet pickle juice in deviled eggs, huh?! I've never heard of doing that. I am going to have to try it one of these days!! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete