Monday, September 13, 2021

Deja Vu Week...

I wrote this blog post in 2010...!  Holy Cow.  TIME FLIES, PEOPLE...

***********

It was the hottest day in Chicago for FIVE YEARS. Oh yeah...Marion (my friend from Canada) and I are taking a couple of days of R&R. She flew the fabulous Porter Air from Toronto -- and I drove. A quick 3 hours for both of us. This is a random picture -- on our way to the Art Institute. Once we arrived -- Marion found a Renoir... Grant Wood drew me in like he always does, with his American Gothic magnet... There was a large wall, with pieces of upholstery fabric hanging...(I'm thinking -- maybe my basement really is ART??) I found myself taking pictures of the very same pictures I saw last year...Georgia O'Keefe flowers, Hopper's Nighthawks, the Grant Wood...THEN IT HAPPENED. I saw this picture... My Iowa family will understand completely. IT'S MY BROTHER-IN-LAW NED..!! I swear...if the guy was wearing bib overalls -- Ned would be able to sue them for stealing his likeness...except maybe it was painted 100 years ago...I dunno... Speaking of my "art-ignorance" -- here I am, in the contemporary section -- in front of a very famous painting... My expression is, "really??" Yes, that's right, it's all black. Well, mostly black. There is a nearly invisible fine white line in the center of the canvas...wha?? I asked Marion to take this picture. The young uniformed guard was looking at me, and I said, "I need the picture so I can make fun of it." She nodded in an understanding way... To be honest (and this is hard for me) -- many times, visiting a sophisticated art gallery feels like I'm living out a chapter in "the Emperor's New Clothes".

No comments:

Post a Comment