Monday, September 6, 2021

Amy's Wonderful Picnic

On Sunday, my niece Amy invited us up to her house for a cook-out...and I eagerly said THANKS...we'll be there.

Even though I worried that John might get agitated because he wouldn't know anybody...nowadays I figure I just have to do things as normally as possible...enjoy each day and all that crap...

Amy has invited us to her home many, many times over the years. She owns the Thanksgiving holiday...and for this occasion, she had her huge island covered with appetizers...while Bill was outside, manning the grill...

John is just outside of this shot -- he was visiting with Amy's other favorite aunt...Nancy...

There were tables set up outside -- and a few rousing card games. It was fun to see the boys home from college...(three of them go to University of Iowa -- an hour away)

I have no idea how many people were there...maybe 40?

Amy is Ronda's daughter -- so, of course, Ronda had to bring some HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PIES for the picnic!! 

The boys always enjoy a pick-up basketball game.

40 years ago, I babysat for Ronda's kids when she went to her Tuesday afternoon bowling league.  I can remember Amy and Nicole riding a plastic tractor on the little cement patio of our rental house...

When THEY started having children of their own -- I babysat for them, too.  I loved having Parker one day a week.  (I've had a picture of him hanging on my refrigerator for 20 years).  My rule used to be "One kid at a time -- one day a week."  And the girls did a great job of pacing their births..After Parker came Cale, Ambrose, Garrett, Landon, Cash -- and, finally -- A GIRL -- Memphis.

John had a WONDERFUL TIME at Amy's party. He visited with  many people...and they were all very kind to him. From the moment we walked into the house, people were coming over to give him a hug...and they'd say, "Hi, Uncle John. How are you?"...

or "Hi, Uncle John...long time no see...."

."Hi, Uncle John. You're looking good!"

He visited with Amy, her husband Bill and all three of her boys.  Then, Nicole and her husband Bill arrived...and they talked to him.....Ronda's son Cory walked in with a big smile on his face, and greeted John with a bright "Hey, Uncle John!"  and they talked about trapping and duck hunting...

These are my people.  I have attended every wedding, graduation, holiday and celebration for 40 years.

Amy was the first person to come to my house on the day of the chimney fire...and Nicole is taking the piano when we move....

But, on the way home, John said, "I can't believe all those people kept calling me Uncle John..."

He had no idea who they were...not a single memory of them.  It's like the last 40 years didn't happen....

I had to bite my lip to stop the tears. 

2 comments:

  1. Your last sentence brought me to tears! John is blessed to be loved by so many - even if he cannot remember who they are. When my father in law was slipping further and further into dementia (he had been a top level nuclear engineer) it was sad and yet somehow he knew that he was loved. And that is the greatest gift we can give our loved ones. Still praying for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day that was, for both you and John, Rita! Lots of visiting, good food, etc.

    BUT...that last comment....oh, yes, it was a tear-jerker. I am so sorry...been there, done that with my mom years ago.

    He may not know them any more, but they know Him, and were welcoming and loving towards him, and included him in conversations. I think that says a lot about your wonderful family. Prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete