Monday, September 27, 2021

2021 PORCH PARTIES

So, in my ongoing effort to enjoy our final months in this house, I am having more than my usual allotment of porch parties. (once or twice a week!) This week, TMBC is coming on Tuesday...

For Labor Day, I made brats, and LP and Jeanne tag-teamed the rest of the meal...It was a BEAUTIFUL day to be out on the porch.

 

Last week, the MDF came on Wednesday -- which happened to be Sandy's birthday!

Sandy has been cutting my hair for 30 years, but I'm a late-comer to this group.  Evelyn and Sandy (on the right) have been friends since Kindergarten.

Growing up in LeClaire, Iowa, Sue was Sandy's next door neighbor.

 

These women have been getting together once a week since they were newlyweds...for over 50 years. They're all single now (widowed or divorced).  Sandy is the ringleader, and she does most of the planning and coordinating. It could be lunch at the local winery, or they take turns hosting...

This week, since we were just back from Pennsylvania, I decided to do a Pennsylvania-themed lunch.

I started by sauteing 5 pounds of Vidalia onions.  They are an integral part of both the Philly cheesesteak AND the perioges.

It was Sandy's birthday -- so I hung a banner and some festive noisemakers...

I warmed some crusty rolls.

Soft pretzels for our our appetizer.

Steak-ums for our cheesesteaks.

White American cheese...

After the cheese is melted, you add a BUNCH of caramelized onions!!

Of course, the perioges also need onions...

To finish off this most perfect lunch, I served Cheesecake (from Eli's). 

I did all the cooking in the morning -- then just assembled everything for lunch.  THEN, I assembled a second round for supper that night -- and invited Cal and Jeanne.

Although, this is a picture from an earlier party -- Cal's birthday was August 5 -- and I ALWAYS make him a steak dinner. and we ALWAYS eat on the porch.

Oh, yeah, I am really going to miss this porch. But, in the history of porches -- nobody ever enjoyed one more than I did.  As life goes -- that's a pretty big win...

1 comment:

  1. Big win, indeed, Rita! So glad you are taking full advantage of your wonderful porch while you still can! Some day, hopefully a new family will start making their own special memories on that porch! (Your lunch looks wonderful, by the way!!)

    ReplyDelete