Wednesday, March 10, 2021

The Vaccine

I don't have a sense about what's happening in the rest of the country -- but here in Iowa -- the vaccine has arrived...and it feels like a pretty organized roll-out.  At this point, anybody working in the medical field has received both shots...

John got his first shot last week. He had been scheduled to get it on February 15th, but he was in the hospital. His doctor rescheduled it for March 3.

His appointment was for 1:30. I received a text message with very specific instructions.  The address of the clinic....stay in our car...reply to this text when we arrived...and when it was our turn, they'd text us to come into the building. Wear a mask.

We entered, checked in at the desk, took a seat.  They called John's name and he went back to get his shot.  It was over in less than 5 minutes.
The clinic was brand new, and I loved the artwork...

 

The way it seems to be working around here is that your doctor's office would call, make an appointment for you to get your first shot. You'd receive a text message, and follow the instructions like we did. No waiting...no long lines...no money exchanged... 

 GOOD JOB, PEOPLE...

The local V.A. was also making appointments for their registered veterans.  This week, the staff at CASI (Center for Active Seniors) told me they would be doing vaccinations at their location -- did I want an appointment?  And I should tell my friends...

YIPPEE KAYEE...

 So, yesterday, my appointment was at 2:00...and it all went seamlessly.  It was a large room -- set up with 6' banquet tables.  Everybody was wearing masks, and the tables were socially distanced.  I arrived early, and they crossed my name off the list.  I sat at one of the tables to fill out the form.  They gave me a small blue cone (which indicated I was there to get my shot).  The nurses came to the tables with their vaccination supplies.  So, when it was my turn, a nurse came to my table.  After she gave me the shot, she placed an orange cone on my table (indicating I was done).  She set a little timer for 15 minutes...which was to make sure I didn't have any immediate side affects.  When the timer went off -- I was free to go.

No long lines, no big waits...They even gave me a sticker....Easy Peasy...

John got the Pfizer vaccine.  I got the Moderna.  My sister Deena told me John Deere received a supply of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine -- and the company set up a vaccination site for their employees/retirees.

It's been a very difficult year....that's for sure.  But today, I am full of hope.  I always believed science would save us...

No comments:

Post a Comment