Monday, March 8, 2021

I Sewed More Chairs

As you know -- my quest for the PERFECT CHAIRS to go around my perfect 100 year old 60" round table has been going on for 40 years.

Really. I LOVE the table. I bought it in 1977, right before we moved away from Pine Grove, Pennsylvania. Kathy and I were on one of our typical weekend treasure hunts -- and we found this beautiful round oak table in a barn on Sweet Arrow Lake Road. I paid $150, which was A LOT OF MONEY for me at the time.

When John and I built our house, I designed the kitchen to accommodate my table. Since June of 1981, every single family event has taken place in that kitchen -- sitting at that table. SO OF COURSE THE TABLE will be going with us when we move into the Co-op.

Two years ago -- I found THESE FOUR CHAIRS at a thrift store. $3 each. They were sturdy yet lightweight... and I knew I could funk them up with just the right Frankensewed t-shirts...

I blogged about that whole process..

This is the official 'BEFORE" picture.

I sewed four chairs, and Lilly helped me set up a "photo shoot""
I LOVE these chairs...but there were only four of them.


But, unfortunately, the Sarcasm chair broke. Ugh.

Lucky for me -- I FOUND MORE CHAIRS. My new chairs are similar in shape and style -- but with a very heavy-duty frame.
This is the official "before" picture...


I used the Sarcasm t-shirt from the broken chair...so it's actually a recycle of a recycle...
For the second chair, I decided to cut up a Mood t-shirt I bought in NYC in 2012 -- when I went there with my friend Marion.  Remember Swatch?
These are the legs from my first set of chairs (I now have 3 of them)
These are the much sturdier legs from my second set of chairs (I also have 3 of them)
I'm calling six chairs a COMPLETE SET. There are many times I have seven people sitting at my table -- but we just roll over an extra chair from the puzzle table. In our new home, we'll be doing the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment