Thursday, March 18, 2021

Restaurants and Waitresses...


 

All this talk about restaurants has made me think about my own career a waitress.

When I was 16 years old, I got hired as a waitress at Town & Country Restaurant in Bettendorf, Iowa. It was a great job, and there were nights I could make $20 in tips.

According to the internet -- Adjusted for inflation, $20.00 in 1965 is equal to $166.97 in 2021.

YIKES!! I knew it was a good job!! But I'm thinking I was not nearly grateful enough...lol...

That was a lot of money for a teenager, and I worked four or five nights a week.

Looking back, I realize I learned some important things at that job.

I've narrowed it down to the five most valuable lessons.

  1. Be on time. The girls who were late never got the best stations...
  2. Be honest. If a bus boy was discovered stealing a tip even once -- that reputation followed him for the rest of his life.
  3. Do more than your fair share of the side work. You're not fooling anybody. Everybody knows who is NOT doing their fair share...
  4. Pay attention! If a customer didn't eat the food, chances are something was wrong...(and it will affect your tip)
  5. You must learn how to work with jerks. Because there is always gonna be one (a_ _hole) on every single shift.

Now that we're able to go into restaurants again, I've decided that's what I'm gonna do with my "stimulus money".   I will become a VERY big tipper.

Because, for starters -- I am of the opinion that those of us who are retired, collecting Social Security -- should NOT have received this money in the first place.  I mean -- our lives were not impacted in the same way as younger, working people who actually lost their jobs and had no income.  If you were a waitress last year, your income went to ZERO...

But, if you are retired, your income stayed the same.  PLUS, we saved a lot of money because we WEREN'T ABLE TO SPEND IT ON TRAVEL or eating out...  

Hey -- it is what it is.  Nobody asked me.  So the checks arrived...and, for right now, I'm gonna be a REALLY BIG TIPPER. 


 

10 comments:

  1. Totally agree, Rita. We've been doing the same as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! I agree too! These young people have been having an extremely hard time. I’ve been tipping my grocery shopper and sent a large holiday cash envelope to my hair stylist whom I’ve only seen once this year. 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I own a DJ company (no events = no DJs needed) that was hit very hard by the shut downs so I especially appreciate you giving to those you can via the stimulus money. I so love your giving spirit - always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not retired but I still have a job and I have saved lots by working remotely. I too have been heavy with the tip hand. I agree with all your bullets above. It is never too early to learn some hard facts about life. Some people never learn them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DH and I agree whole heartedly! We do not need the stimulus checks. Great idea to tip big!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We tip extra and support the local small restaurants. My mom and brother are also big tippers. One thing I can say, all of the small business restaurants in Puyallup have reopened. None were forced to permanently close. Big community support here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gave some $$ to local food pantries, tipping bigger, maybe grabbing some carry-out (and tipping those folks too) more often. Agree we really didn't need it so we're spreading it around! Good for you Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gave some $$ to local food pantries, tipping bigger, maybe grabbing some carry-out (and tipping those folks too) more often. Agree we really didn't need it so we're spreading it around! Good for you Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete