Monday, March 29, 2021

Happy Birthday To Me!!

So, to review -- last year I was planning a BIG BASH for my March birthday -- but my party got Corona-Cancelled...

So, I moved my celebration online -- and YOU, MY BLOG READERS -- stepped up in a magnificent way. This last year, I've had several occasions when I went back into those birthday emails and I was buoyed by your kind words...

This year, 2021, has had a rocky start. John's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  I can't leave him alone...and it's been a difficult transition for both of us. I tried a daycare program, but he hated it.

Anyway -- with all that's been happening -- I hadn't given much thought to my birthday.

But, several weeks ago, Deena called and told me to pencil in Saturday, March 27th. She'd made arrangements with Calvin to take care of John...and she was taking me on a "Birthday Adventure".

YES...PLEASE....

When the actual day of my adventure came around, I couldn't even remember what time she told me she'd be picking me up...so, when she arrived at 9:30, I was just getting out of the shower!

But I got dressed VERY QUICKLY...and was soon ready to go.

Calvin arrived five minutes before Deena did...so John was set for the day.

Deena had an actual BLINDFOLD (sequins, of course!)...and I had no idea where we were headed or what we'd be doing...
I hadn't talked to Deena for a week or so -- and we had a lot of catching up to do. She and Ned had a flat tire on the interstate (pulling a livestock trailer)...I told her about John pitching  a fit about the daycare program, he suggested we get a divorce...(don't get my hopes up, buddy!)...we were talking so much, I completely lost track of which way we were headed. At one point, I thought we crossed the I-80 bridge -- which means we were in Illinois. The only thing I could think of in Ilinois was the skydiving field in New Rochelle...hummm...I wonder if we're going to jump out of a plane? (honestly -- these were my random thoughts)...














 After driving for about 30 minutes, Deena parked the car and came around to my side to open my door. She took my arm, and led me into a building. Still wearing the blindfold, I couldn't hear anything...and I had NO IDEA where we were going or what was happening...
We were at the Methodist Church in McCausland, Iowa (6 miles from my house)!!  AND THIS WAS MY SURPRISE BIRTHDAY PARTY>.!!

Four sisters.  Deena, me, Ronda and Debbie (from Tennessee)

 OMG...OMG...OMG...I can't tell you how shocked I was.  Nobody, in the history of the world, was ever more surprised by a surprise party.  I have NO IDEA how they pulled this off.  Everybody in that room was in on the planning of this party...and I never had a clue...not even a tiny inkling...

My people were already in the kitchen, preparing the food...WHICH WAS AMAZING...

 

This party was  FULL OF SURPRISES -- and I get to relive every wonderful detail this week, in this blog. Honestly, it was one for the ages...and I can't wait to tell you all about it!!

4 comments:

  1. Rita, I'm sure i am not the only one who feels this way, but I feel like we are old friends. I read your blog every day. I've tried popovers because of you. I frankensew now because of you. A lot of us in this group face many of the same struggles you do, so we know we are not alone in it. Thanks for being here. And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy your friends and family were able to pull off such a wonderful surprise - you certainly deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome is that!!!! Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday, Rita! What a wonderful surprise your family and friends gave you!

    ReplyDelete