Friday, March 12, 2021

Lilly's Gift

You know I am a big fan of giving "adventures" instead of gifts. I've taken Lilly to Chicago, New York City -- we saw HAMILTON, for crying out loud!!

Then, of course, came the Coronavirus....and, even if that wasn't happening, John's Alzheimer's makes travel impossible.

So, the question is -- what gift can I give Lilly that will make her 12th birthday special??

I asked Emily if it would be okay to buy a Tracfone for Lilly. I Googled it...and realized I could get the older version of my own cellphone (Motorola G7). Lilly is looking forward to riding her bike around McCausland with her friends this summer -- and Emily agreed that it was a good time for Lilly to have her own phone.

Also, because Lilly is crazy about music -- she can use WiFi to download and listen to her songs.

Yep. This is PERFECT.

The phone was only $39 at Best Buy -- so I ran into town Monday afternoon to pick one up. BUT WAIT...the only way you can buy a Tracfone at Best Buy is if you commit to a "plan"....of $20 or $30 a month. WHA??

I was not interested in a "plan". I wanted a phone that would use pre-paid minutes. I know I can buy the Tracfone cards at the local Dollar Store -- but two Best Buy employees could not tell me if the phone they were selling would be able to use those prepaid minutes. They acted like I was speaking a foreign language.

Ugh.

So, I went out to the Best Buy parking lot -- and used my own smartphone to order a similar phone for Lilly. It'll be here next Tuesday...

The QVC deal was the phone, case, and 1500 prepaid minutes for $57....

Lilly seemed delighted with the print out of her new phone...and I'm wondering why anybody would pay over $200 a month for a Verizon phone?? 

I might have to rethink this whole cellphone thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment