Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Day Two: DVM...Grand Central Terminal

Even though it wasn't on my original "itinerary", I was hoping we would, at some point, be able to be visit Grand Central Station. AND IT HAPPENED..!!

It was easy to take the subway uptown from the 911 Memorial...AND it was time for lunch.

PERFECT...
Thank you, rich guy (in this case, Cornelius Vanderbilt)...for building one of the most magnificent public spaces in the history of the world.  The Main Concourse is -- well -- impressive.  The massive ceiling is a painting of the constellations in the sky.  Really.  Ambition was NOT THEIR problem back in 1914...
I didn't get a picture of Maddie seeing this room for the first time.  So I'm substituting a picture of Lilly -- last year -- walking into this incredible space...and I hope it's a moment both girls will remember when they are my age...
I tried to explain the significance of the four sided clock...you know -- how millions of people met there, under that clock.  By pre-aranging it in actual LETTERS they wrote back and forth to each other weeks or even months earlier.  Before cellphones.  Before the internet. She really cannot imagine...
But that's okay. One day, Lilly and Maddie will both remember their moment of walking into that room...

That's my hope, anyway.

But -- only time will tell. There's no way to know what a child will remember...

And -- on this day -- the visit was ALL ABOUT LUNCH..!!
Val and Maddie wanted to get food from the Shake Shack.  I got pizza from PROVO pizza, and Deena got a huge chicken wrap. EVERYTHING WAS DELICIOUS...and we had dessert from the Magnolia Bakery.
Even the trash cans in New York are interesting. I mean -- what else would you put in a trash can, anyway? What are they worried about?
We walked out of Grand Central so we could get THIS view...(the Chrysler Building)
Grand Central Terminal. Wow. Spectacular. I'm so glad I got to take them to this beautiful place...
HUMMM...it's about 2:00, and we're on 42nd Street -- walking back to our hotel. We have theater tickets for 3:00. I WONDER IF WE HAVE TIME TO DUCK INTO THE LIBRARY..???

No comments:

Post a Comment