Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Project Runway vs. Fashion Star

Yes, it is SHOCKING how much television I watch. I am unapologetic about knowing all the housewives from every season in every city...(except for Washington D.C. -- even Andy Cohen knows that was a big miss)...I can hardly wait for the return of the NEW JERSEY crew...

I've watched every season of Project Runway -- even the recent snooze fest. Ugh. One of my problems this season was that they acted like having the contestants work in TEAMS was a shocking twist. Really? Every season had many team challenges -- so what was the big deal?  It was like trying to create drama out of eating Cheerios for breakfast...

Truthfully, the poor quality of the contestants was the really big twist this year. Week after week, these "designers" were completely befuddled by how to make a pair of pants or hem a skirt. I honestly do not remember EVEN A SINGLE GARMENT from this season. (Unless you count the nightmares I had after the horrible Chippendale's episode.)

The WAY, WAY, WAY better design show was NBC's Fashion Star. Last year, I wasn't expecting much. I mean -- Jessica Simpson and Nicole Richie? It seemed like a recipe for vapid.

BUT I WAS WRONG. The concept of the show was exciting. Each week, the designers made their garments -- and there were actual BUYERS from stores (Macy's, Sak's Fifth Avenue, and Express) who would decide to buy or not to buy. THEN -- the next day -- the purchased designs were available online.


OF COURSE, THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE is that Fashion Star provided the contestants with a fully equipped and staffed sewing factory.

On Fashion Star, every week the contestants made garments that could ACTUALLY BE MANUFACTURED AND SOLD. And I found that exciting...


Project Runway has hit the end of the road. And I think it's a good thing that Heidi has found a new job with America's Got Talent...

No comments:

Post a Comment