Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Linda

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LINDA.

I already know that using my blog to wish Happy Birthday to my mates was a TERRIBLE IDEA. What was I thinking?? NOW I get to let my friends down in yet ANOTHER WAY...like it wasn't bad enough that nobody has ever received a birthday gift from me -- or even a lousy card -- NOW their feelings will be hurt AGAIN because I will forget to write about them ON THIS BLOG...

So this is my second -- and MY LAST -- Happy Birthday post.

To my cousin Linda -- who is traveling right now -- and might get a kick out of these pictures.

Linda is my creative-soul-mate. We have spent hours together making things, cooking things, cleaning things, painting things, sewing things, picking things, writing things...you name the thing and we've messed with it. Her most recent project for me was Lillian's little train case for Christmas...


Linda is a wonderful, prolific artist. And we share a wacky asymmetrical sense of how we see the world. But she isn't just here for the fun stuff...

The best thing about Linda is that she's also there when the WORK HAPPENS. Linda was here when I painted every room of this house. And she helped me to hang my unusual porch curtains. And we had a ball spray-painting my porch roll-up shades.

Every year -- she comes when it's time to pick John's last bushels of basil...to make some pesto for the freezer -- Linda is my girl...



We had a great time putting up the tile for her kitchen remodel job...
Our first official tile job was my bathroom...several years ago...we were completely in over our heads but too stupid to know it at the time...


I see her every Tuesday morning -- she's the center of our "breakfast club". Because I am Linda's cousin (on her Dad's side) -- and our other two members -- Linda P and Sandy -- are her cousins (on her Mom's side). So she is our glue.



HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Linda. You are one of the best people I know and I am so glad you are in my life. I will never be able to thank you for all you did for me when my parents died...and you were there in that same quiet, loving way for your Mom when your Dad died...

You are the girl everybody calls, Lin. But you never, ever give yourself any credit...

Have a wonderful time in California. The weather here in Iowa sucks...so you did the right thing...

love,
rita

P.S. to the rest of my friends -- I'M SORRY I GOT YOUR HOPES UP...really. Writing birthday blogs was a terrible idea and I am completely, totally over it...

No comments:

Post a Comment