Thursday, June 11, 2020

Frankensewing T-shirts into Shorts.


Over the past coupla weeks, I've made about 12 pairs of short for Lilly and Warren.

Tweeking the patterns to fit them properly took a few attempts...some turned out better than others...

Basically, three things came together for this to happen:

First -- I heard it was going to be hard to buy kids' summer clothes -- as the January shipments from China never happened.

Second -- I was clearing the basement -- trying to whittle away on my gigantic t-shirt mountain.

Third -- Sewing is what I do when I'm feeling stressed...so there has been A LOT OF SEWING...


Once I was happy with the fit -- I pinned Lilly and Warren's patterns to the wall SO I COULD FIND THEM WHEN I NEEDED THEM.
Each pair of shorts requires TWO t-shirts.
I made a casing for the elastic.
After I inserted the elastic, I made sure more of the gathers were happening in the BACK, rather than the front...then, I topstitched the top of the waistband (to keep the elastic in place).
I put a patch pocket on the left side for Lilly...and on the right side for Warren...
It's hard to find two t-shirts that are the same...so I decided to embrace the difference.
I didn't bother to hem them...as a matter of fact, I didn't even bother to make sure the front was the same length as the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment