Saturday, March 21, 2020

Fabric Face Masks

My son Ross works in a hospital -- and they are running out of disposable face masks. Ugh. They are asking IF YOU ARE NOT A HEALTH CARE WORKER, please don't buy (much less hoard) these items. .

Because the Coronavirus is airborne -- a washable fabric face mask does offer some measure of protection. As a matter of fact, the CDC has recommended that if a disposable mask is not available to them, health care workers should use bandanas or scarves...

HEY -- WE CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT...BECAUSE SEWING IS OUR SUPER POWER...!!

You can find many versions of this project on Google. After spending an hour reading directions and watching videos (most of them sucked) -- I decided to share this one. Mostly to give you an idea of the very simple process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueWkAuY3k6Y&fbclid=IwAR0vOCNaDFf1JF-mUUMmPygaYYd6byuHp0uFv7n-3qxHMVutQSs8Ia6JPiA

Here's what I learned (so far). The first mask I made was way too small (altho, suitable for a child).

My brother Calvin has bad lungs. But a wonderful big head!...so I wanted to make a mask that would fit him.

I cut two pieces of fabric, 10" x 7". The only narrow elastic I had was 1/4" wide...I cut two 7" pieces. I put two pleats on each side...

Really -- it takes about 20 minutes to make one....after I tweek my design, I will do a bunch of them assembly-style.

Here are some photos...
This mask was the right size for Cal -- and I was hopeful...
But the ear loops popped right off. This will never work...
The final solution was ONE LONG piece of elastic (25")...looped through both sides...
THIS just might be the answer.
As part of CGC, Lilly is going to try to make a little video of me sewing a facemask. You'll know if it worked or not if you check back on Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Not about the mask but about activities with/for your grands. https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome.html Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We CTAs were going to make 100 for our local Providence Hospital. They were giving out kits because they had very specific rules for the masks. However, a local business learned about it, and is mass producing all the kits at no cost. Another major hospital is in the process of getting kits together, so we may be doing them, unless this business is doing enough for all the hospitals.

    ReplyDelete