Sunday, March 22, 2020

Coronavirus Face Masks

So -- here's the thing. I have some new links for face mask patterns...and, like EVERY KIND OF SEWING I EVER MET -- there are all levels of difficulty available.

This is the result of my own tweeking...but these masks go together quickly...and they might help. And they certainly cannot hurt...
Cut two pieces of fabric 10 inches by 7 inches.
Fold in half -- then cut away 1/2..as shown...this will be the TOP of your mask -- to cover your nose.
Right sides together -- Sew the top edge. Then, zig-zag some 1/4" elastic onto the seam.(to better fit your nose)
Sew a 1/2 inch dart in the middle of the bottom of the mask.
Make the dart on both pieces of fabric -- before you sew the bottom edge closed.
Turn it -- then topstitch the top and bottom. (the sides are open)
Put three pleats into each side (facing down)
I used a piece of t-shirt knit to basically cover the raw edges, and provide a channel for the elastic.
Really...doing the elastic this way, it is fairly comfortable.
It's just one long piece of elastic (25" works for me) -- looped through one side, then the other...
You can be creative with your fabric choices...
I've had so many emails about making facemasks...I tried to post this in a hurry -- I know a video would have been better....sorry...tomorrow, I'll post pictures of exactly how I use the t-shirt scraps to cover the raw edges, and at the same time -- provide a channel for the elastic.

2 comments:

  1. Nice mask! Only problem, the stores are running out of elastic, now. I have enough to make 20 more masks, the less secure variety that only requires 12-13 inches of elastic. Online sources are promising May delivery. I hope the source I found will deliver as promised next week because our health care providers are begging for anything we can make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems health care workers actually prefer masks with TIES...cuz the elastic cannot withstand daily laundering. That made sense -- so I'm working on a prototype for that. (using recycled t-shirt strips, of course). STAY TUNED...

    ReplyDelete