Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Mary's Visit, Part 1

First of all -- "what went wrong?".   There are always glitches.  But nothing big enough to ruin our fun...  

And who was it who said "We make plans, and God laughs."

On the day of Mary's scheduled arrival, I woke up with a terrible toothache. My dentist fit me in, and gave me the horrible news that I was going to lose my back two molars.  But, not to worry, they can do a tooth "implant" nowadays...so it'll be fine.  ($5,000 per tooth)...

Mary didn't see my sisters because Deena was in Mexico and Ronda was in Missouri.

We didn't make the trip to Cedar Rapids because Phyllis got the flu...

And there was no game night because Lilly ended up in the Emergency Room with swollen lymph nodes.

But I'm happy to report that EVERYBODY IS BACK WHERE THEY BELONG...THEY ALL SEEM WELL AGAIN....and I've decided I can live without my molars....so I will NOT be spending $10,000 on tooth implants...ugh...

The thing is, if the Ya Ya Sisters have one single superpower -- it is our ability to LIVE IN THE MOMENT...so, instead of lamenting the horrible winter weather, and grieving for the things we could not do -- we focused on our Plan B's and the joy-filled things we WERE ABLE to do.  And it was a wonderful week.

Mary arrived, and we had a nice supper at the BBQ place next to the airport.  I was starving -- probably overly hungry from ALL THE HOUSE CLEANING I'd been doing for the last month or so.

Tuesday was our first big day of  THRIFTING, and we met Ross for lunch.

Ross has a soft spot in his heart for Mary which goes waaaay back. She was at his birthday party when he was 16 years old. And when he went away to college, Mary wrote actual letters.  She sent him newspaper clippings, or magazine articles...and money.

15 years later, when he moved back home to attend nursing school, Mary gave him a "scholarship".

So he ALWAYS makes time for Mary when she's in town. After our lunch, Ross said, "would you like to come see my house?"...so she actually got a house tour. (this is an invitation my sisters have been wanting for over a year).

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good time! So many people I know (including my family) have had this year start out challenging. I am hoping for a really dull/quiet/uneventful spring and summer :-)

    ReplyDelete