Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Velour Track Suits

I'm not done with my CANADA vacation reports...

But, just in case you've been missing the Frankensewing...

*************
Warren was a baby when Ross moved back to Iowa to go to nursing school. Because he was living with us, he spent a lot of time with Lilly and Warren. Maybe I'm the only one who realizes what a gift that has been for all of them...but, hey...I digress...

Ross is an old soul. He loves the Cubs, Frank Sinatra and Big Band Music. He's also a fan of the Sopranos and the Real Housewives of New Jersey.

So -- for Ross, velour track suits never went out of style...

Several years ago, I bought a blue velour track suit online for Ross's birthday...AND HE LOVED IT..!!
I made a matching one for Warren (by cutting up an adult version, of course).
So -- fast forward. It's 2018, and Ross is having another birthday. I bought him a new velour track suit -- and it became my mission to make velour suits for both Lilly and Warren.

Of course, the thrift-store-hunt is my favorite part of any Frankensewing venture!!   Cotton velour track suits were popular during 70's (maybe the 80's?)...so, the garments I'm looking for are truly vintage!!  Eventually, I gathered about 40 various pieces of velour...and my intention was to mix and match -- add a stripe here or there...maybe two different colored sleeves...but, eventually, all three suits would blend together.

Lilly said "No thank you..."

She wanted a simple red track suit. Okay. FINE!!
This was a woman's size M -- all I had to do was shorten the sleeves and pants...and, of course, take the pants in at the side seams (there were no pockets).  Easy Peasy...
Warren's gray set was a much bigger challenge.  It started off as a men's size L...
But it came out GREAT...and he loves it!!
Even though I cut it down (bigtime) -- I saved the important details -- like, the pockets and original ribbing.
I cut the pants down, and re-attached the waistband.  I zig-zagged it at the back --to hold the original drawstring in place.
At the front, I saved the grommets.  Warren can still pull on the drawstring to make the pants a little tighter.
I cut the zipper out of the Size L. gray track suit.
And then, I cut the zipper out of a boys hoodie (leaving 1" on both sides)
All I had to do was sew the shorter blue zipper into the now-properly-sized gray velour jacket.
I was careful to save the original grommets on the hood.
Warren wrapped Uncle Ross's gifts...
Lilly decorated his birthday cake.
AND WE WERE OFF to his surprise party!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I just love your frankensewing!! So cool and amazingly awesome suits. Such a sweet beautiful cake also. Thumbs up on the decorating!! Very cool wrapping also!! You have wonderful helpers!! Such a cool family! Enjoy your day!! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a royal blue velour sweatsuit in the early 80s. Wore it out!

    ReplyDelete