Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Restaurants, Kids and Conversations

One of the best things about having Lilly and Warren every Saturday is that it's an excuse for me to EAT OUT at restaurants.

John doesn't enjoy going out that much...and it's pretty boring to cook for just the two of us...

The kids have learned some excellent restaurant manners...they've played countless games of Bananagrams...and it's a good time to practice the art of actual conversation.

When Lilly was four years old, she told the waitress at Family Square that their kids' menu needed to have pictures -- because little kids can't read...we all saw the wisdom in that...
At our favorite place -- Steak and Shake!!
Recently, I took the kids to our big grocery store chain, HyVee for their 4-6pm  half-price appetizers.  As we were placing our order, Lilly said, "I'd like to save a whale"  The waitress looked at her blankly and said, "excuse me?"

Lilly repeated... "I'd like to save a whale."

Our waitress had no idea what she was talking about.  Lilly said, "save a whale -- you know -- put a piece of licorice instead of a straw in the kids drink."

When the waitress continued with her blank stare...Lilly said, "It's YOUR promotion."

Apparently,HyVee did a great job of marketing to the children -- but not such a good job of training their employees.

***********

One night -- we were meeting Uncle Ross for supper.  We were waiting at the counter, playing Banagrams.  It was dark outside, and Warren, looking out a window, got caught up in his reflection.  I said, "I wish I had the letters to spell "narcissistic".

Lilly said, "no kidding".

I said, "do you know what narcissistic means?"

She said -- "it means self-absorbed".

Surprised -- I said -- "good work, hon. But that's a big word for a 9 year old...how did you learn it?"

She said -- "well, putting it in context -- Warren WAS admiring his reflection in the window..."

No comments:

Post a Comment