Saturday, June 9, 2018

DVM: NYC: Our Last Night!! Frittes...

AFTER our wonderful concert/appetizers break at Ellen's Stardust DINER -- we walked 5 minutes back to our hotel. We needed to regroup and freshen up. Because, for our last night in New York City -- we were going to venture into complete UNKNOWN territory.


The beautiful Art Deco lobby of the Hotel Edison...sometimes, it was nice just to sit for a minute...
Deena's son, Chad (back in Iowa) had somehow hooked up with a guy who books MAGIC ACTS for corporate event. I have no idea how this happened -- but we were offered FOUR FREE TICKETS to a Magic Show on Monday night.

The only problem was -- it was waaaaay downtown. In a place I'd never been before...and I wasn't quite sure how we were gonna get there. Our Travel Kitty was getting pretty low at this point, and it's raining. A cab would probably cost $40 each way (IF we could even get one)...

Although I look like a subway pro to my Iowa friends -- I avoid the really big stations (42nd Street, Columbus Circle)...I get turned around easily, and I have never been on the Green, yellow or orange trains...really, I'm just a big pretender when it comes right down to it... TRYING to act like I know what I'm doing...

I have the address of the theater...I'm sitting in the lobby, studying my NYC Transit map...
When I realize there is a young woman at that desk...giving tourists ADVICE about how to get around in the city!!
EUREKA..!!  She took a look at my map, and said the subway was the obvious choice. All we had to do was walk over to Rockefeller Center and get on the ORANGE line...and take it all the way down to 4th Street. We'd get off at Washington Park. And our theater should be RIGHT THERE...
GREAT. Back down into the magnificent New York City Subway system!!
Remember -- we all had MTA cards -- with about $7.50 on em...
When we came up out of the subway station -- it was like we'd gone back in time. THIS is what New York looked like at the turn of the century. Narrow streets...lots of four story brick buildings with fire escapes....no neon here. No high rises.
There were lots of small shops...some tattoo parlors, bars, little tiny restaurants...
AND THIS PLACE..!! I saw it on the Food Network!! ALL THEY DO IS MAKE FRENCH FRIES...
I tried to take a picture of the narrow little underground space...you cannot imagine how crowded it was...
THANKS to the internet -- here's a much better picture.  The whole store is about 9'feet wide.  Imagine 30 or 40 people sitting at these three narrow tables...and benches...which were on the left side of the space.  The LONG LINE of people wanting to order fries is standing along the right side of the space...
We worked our way back to the kitchen...
Everything on the menu board is about the sauces...
I ordered a size large...it was $7.75...
The Frites come in paper cones. The sauces we chose? Ketchup and European mayonnaise
The little tables were jam packed...so we had to stand outside to eat.
And, believe it or not -- ONE LARGE order of Pommes Frites was exactly right for the four of us. THEY WERE SO DELICIOUS....piping hot and salty...I almost forgot to take a picture!!

No comments:

Post a Comment