Thursday, March 10, 2016

Missing Downton

I am still suffering withdrawal pains from the final episode of Downton Abbey. OH MY GOODNESS...whatever shall I do with my Sunday nights from now on??

When I try to think why that show was so spectacularly good, I can't quite put my finger on it. The interesting people, of course, the dramatic times they lived in, the attention to detail, the upstairs/downstairs element of the place. But, probably, like most good things (television, books, movies...) -- IT WAS THE WRITING. So, thank you, Julian Fellowes, for writing wonderful stories around complete, lovable, yet flawed characters...

My personal favorite was the Dowager Countess...

The wonderful Maggie Smith...such a great job...every time she came on the screen, I was looking for the zinger.  Here are some of her more memorable lines.

Countess Dowager: "So that’s Mary’s replacement? Well, I suppose looks aren’t everything…"

Cora Crawley: "I think she seems rather sweet. I’m afraid meeting us all together must be very intimidating."
Dowager Countess: "I do hope so."

Dowager Countess: "Well, what on earth’s the matter?"
Richard Carlisle: "I’m leaving in the morning Lady Grantham. I doubt we’ll meet again."
Dowager Countess: "Do you promise?"

Dowager Countess: “I’m so looking forward to seeing your mother again. When I’m with her I’m reminded of the virtues of the English.”
Matthew Crawley: “But isn’t she American?”
Dowager Countess: "Exactly."

Dowager Countess: "Just how long is she here for?"
Earl of Grantham: "Who knows..."
Dowager Countess: "No guest should be admitted without the date of their departure settled"

Isobel Crawley: "But I admire it when young people stand up for their principles."
Dowager Countess: "Principles are like prayers: noble, of course, but awkward at a party."

No comments:

Post a Comment