Friday, June 27, 2014

Uncle Melvin

I wrote this blog post a year ago....

My favorite Uncle -- and my LAST Uncle -- is struggling for months.  He is in congestive heart failure, and has been spending time in and out of hospitals and nursing homes.   Such good memories.  I'm posting it again just because I can...

If you have a favorite Aunt or Uncle -- call them today.  Have them over to sit on your porch.  You will never be sorry....

Time is short.  It always is....

******************
It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon. Uncle Melvin and his wife Kathy, two of my favorite people -- were coming for supper. We'll eat on the porch and watch the hummingbirds. My brother Calvin joined us (he eats like he is late for a fire -- so he was long gone before I took any pictures.)

My menu was: Panka pork, 7-layer salad, homemade applesauce, roasted red potatoes and deviled eggs. Kathy was bringing her delicious-now-signature-rum-nut-cake for dessert.

I spent the WHOLE DAY COOKING. And, really -- Sunday is a TERRIBLE DAY for me to have company. Everybody in the world knows that MONDAY IS MY CLEANING DAY.

Lillian spent Saturday night -- and she simply DESTROYS her room. She drags toys and dresses from one end of the house to the other. Sunday morning, she said: "Your house is so messy, Grandma."

I just looked at her... "YOU NEED TO COME ON TUESDAYS FROM NOW ON..."

Lilly knew I was cleaning and cooking because we were having company for supper.  She has met Uncle Melvin before, but she was struggling to figure out who he was...and how he fits into her world...

I said, "Who is your favorite Uncle, honey?"

She said, "Uncle Ross"

Me:  "When I was four years old, Uncle Melvin was MY Uncle Ross..."

She got the biggest smile on her face.  Like..."Well, DUH -- why didn't you say that in the first place..!!" 


The other day, my friend Valerie was in a local restaurant and she overhead the man in the next booth introduce himself as Melvin Dodds. As she was leaving, she went over and said, "I know who you are. Rita Farro is my best friend and you are her favorite Uncle."

He replied, "I am her only uncle. And I didn't know Rita had friends....she's never mentioned you to me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment