Monday, June 9, 2014

Porch Sofa: Fabric vs. Paint

Making new covers for the sofa cushions is one thing. But pulling and stretching and stapling fabric around the frame is a whole different animal. Sooo much fabric....sooo much work...ugh...

Then, I spent the Art Day out on the farm with those fiber artists...they are SUCH BIG FANS of painting on fabric...

And, I have a board on Pinterest called "Funky Furniture"....there are soo many great examples of painted furniture. Hummm...I wonder if that could work...
I had a ten year old gallon of blue wall paint...and I figured if it didn't work out, I could STILL staple new fabric over the failed painted fabric experiment...
Then, too, it seemed like Lilly would enjoy helping with this part of project...
I love it any time Tom Sawyer plays a role in my day...!!
The paint dried quickly. And you can see that two coats were necessary...
The second coat went on really quickly...
Too bad the back of the sofa will be up against the wall. I'd LOVE to paint a big design here....HEY!! it WILL be up against the wall!! All the more reason to paint some huge wild design --
It was a little tricky painting in between the caning on the sides of the sofa...
Next Monday, you'll see the first reupholstered cushion. I learned several lessons...lucky for me, I am one of those bright people who only has to make the same mistake six or seven times before I change my technique...

No comments:

Post a Comment