Monday, June 16, 2014

Porch Sofa Cushion #1 and #2

This is the story of sewing the FIRST CUSHION for my old/new porch sofa. This is the biggest step in any project...to just BEGIN.
To review -- I have A LOT OF THIS FABRIC...Two panels 54"x 84", with that mildew resistant lining...but it doesn't have that yellow pop I need...
I've had this piece of outdoor fabric for so long, I can't even remember where it came from...But there isn't much of it, and too bad it doesn't have any yellow...
Then, of course, I REMEMBERED I HAD PAINT...
For Cushion #1,  I painted on some yellow accents -- to go with my beloved Ralph Lauren YELLOW duvet cor...
This is the back of cushion #1...
Cushion #2 is completely different (yet the same)...
The back of Cushion #2, BEFORE I added the strokes of yellow...
The first two cushions are SPECTACULAR...I am sooo delighted with them!!
The back side of the cushions are not quite as jazzy...but aren't they wonderful??  The painted pops of yellow make all the difference!
The biggest issue I had was a problem I created for myself.  (sewing really is JUST A METAPHOR FOR LIFE, ISN'T IT??). Because I decided to use that great sun-resistant, mildew-resistant LINING from the two drapery panels.  I cut out the top cushion piece, and the back cushion piece, and used an iron-on adhesive to fuse the lining to both pieces.  Ugh. 

WHAT WAS I THINKING??  That was a major mistake.  Heat and Bond is NOT something you want to sew through...much less, with the thickness of two layers of outdoor fabrics.  I kept gumming up my sewing machine needle...the thread would wrap around the uptake...I had to disassemble my sewing machine...SEVERAL TIMES...it was a frustrating lesson....

By the time I got to the second cushion -- I KNEW BETTER.  I simply laid the two layers together, and did a basting stitch around the outside edge.  Problem solved...

Next week, I'll share my secret way to put in the perfect zipper every time...!!

1 comment:

  1. Rita, I can hardly wait till you get all those cushions done....SEW much fun!!! I will have to try the paint. What does it feel like after it has dried on the fabric??? Seems like it would be kinda stiff....oh wait, I have painted with my acrylic paints on fabric before...had to use a special medium with the paint to make the fabric washable....did u do that???
    Great job so far, Linda in Othello

    ReplyDelete