Thursday, August 5, 2010

Plan B...

I've already told you about the fabulous pork tenderloin supper I shared with my friend from Colorado -- Shaundra. Remember the cute little zebra stripe dress she brought for Lillian?

Well -- here's the REST OF THE STORY...

Iowa City is about an hour's drive for me. It's a trip I know very well...I get on Interstate-80 and with a large cup of coffee and a good book on tape -- the time flies by. This day was a stunning summer afternoon -- WHAT COULD BE BETTER??




I'm meeting Shaundra at Exit 249. However -- the coffee caught up with me and I had to get off at Exit 254 to run into the McDonald's restroom. No problem. I'm early -- and I LOVE MCDONALD'S BATHROOMS. They are always in working order -- and usually cleaner than the one I left at home...


I was in SUCH A BIG HURRY to jump out of the car and rush to the ladies' room -- I slammed the door and left my car keys inside. UGH.

Okay -- Plan B. Instead of arriving an hour early, and having plenty of time to check out the auction at Sharpless before Shaundra arrives...I'll call AAA to come unlock my car -- then I'll call Shaundra to let her know I may be late.

Oh Oh -- I also left my cellphone on the seat of the car.

Double Ugh...

Okay. Plan C....

The McDonald's staff let me use their phone. And they even gave me a free cup of coffee while I waited for the AAA guy.

I'll just read the paper. Bummer. No newspaper. Anywhere. Not even a week old copy of USA today. There I was alone in a booth -- with no cellphone and no reading material -- wow. I can't remember the last time this happened. When I was alone with my own thoughts, I mean...

There I was, sitting by myself, with nobody to talk to, nothing to do or read or watch or text...

It would be great if I had a profound moment here...but, sorry -- no such luck.

THERE WAS NO WAY I COULD SIT THERE FOR ONE HOUR WITH NOTHING TO READ. So -- I dodged my way across a crowded, dangerous semi-truck-parking lot to get to the nearest convenience store where I could buy a newspaper (I bought 3)

...in the end -- I was saved from my own lack of deep thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment