Friday, January 1, 2010

My Cousin Kim

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY. Since 1971, I have made a fresh pork dinner for New Year's Day. It is a tradition from John's family -- pork, mashed potatoes and saurkraut. It is a meal that's supposed to bring good luck for the New Year...and it seems to be working well enough, so I'd be terrified to change now....I'd rather break a big mirror into a hundred pieces...

The best part about the holidays are the "traditions". If you're doing it right -- traditions change, of course -- as children arrive, grow up, move away. The key to holiday happiness is FLEXIBILITY.


One of my favorite Christmas traditions is between two adults -- me and my cousin Kim and our simple little "ornament exchange". We both try to make our ornaments something significant about the year. I sneak into her house and hang my "commemorative ornament" on her Christmas tree. She manages the junior high kitchen -- and every day when she comes home from work, she searches her tree to see what I came up with...

The year her daughter Carrie was married, the bride ornament was carrying a little box that had held my "truffle favor" from the wedding reception. Last year, we went to New York City in December -- so the ornament I put on Kim's tree came from the shop next to our hotel....well, you get the idea...

This year, to change it up -- I gave Kim an actual Snow Globe from TAVERN ON THE GREEN. The beautiful restaurant where Kim and I enjoyed the best meal of our lives...and which, sadly, closed forever on December 31, 2009.

When Kim gave me my ornament, she said, "remember -- I read your blog every day"...

So -- IMAGINE MY DELIGHT -- when I saw this...

YES -- IT'S A sock monkey ornament....which I hung right next to Lillian's "Baby's First Christmas"...

Happy New Year, Kim!

No comments:

Post a Comment